Valley News Dispatch spotlight athletes:
TribLIVE Sports Videos
School: Ford City
Report card: Retzer struck out 16 batters in the Section 3-AA opener for Ford City. Retzer will continue his baseball career at West Liberty University.
Did you have any idea what your strikeout total was by the end of the game?
I had no idea. I knew it was a nice amount, but I didn't know it was that high at all.
Did the cold weather affect your pitching?
Not really. In between innings I had my jacket on. It always kept me warm.
How difficult has it been dealing with the weird weather this season?
It's pretty difficult. We haven't been able to practice much outside because of the field conditions.
What did the team do to stave off boredom with all the canceled games?
We get together and hit balls, or we just practice whenever we can.
Report card: A captain and the team's ace, she was the winning pitcher in an upset over Class A No. 5 Vincentian. She hit two home runs against Riverview.
What did the win against Vincentian do for the team's confidence?
It really boosted our confidence. Our spirits were really high and after that win we can go into every game with the same attitude.
How do you think the proposed move to District 6 would affect the softball team?
I honestly think it's the biggest downgrade to the softball team. I know that they say it's to get us away from Catholic schools and recruiting, but, our softball team doesn't have problems beating those teams.
Here's the scenario: you're pitching and it's the top of the 7th, you're up by one run, runners are on second and third with two outs and the count is full. What pitch do you turn to too try and get the out?
Jam the girl with a fastball under the knuckles. That's usually the pitch I go to when I'm up in the count or close to it. I can usually get girls to chase it.
What are you plans after high school?
I am going to be attending Carlow University and major in nursing. I will be attending on a softball and academic scholarship. I will get to play with my big sister (Kaysie).
What's the feeling going to be like playing with her again?
Well, when I was in ninth grade and she was a senior, she caught me when I pitched. We had the usual sister fighting thing and I got really close to her. I'm not an emotional person but when she left, I was upset. When she went to Carlow for softball, I wanted to go there and I'm rooming with her. I'm excited to play beside her. I will play shortstop and she's a third baseman.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Elsie Hillman, philanthropist and one-time GOP powerhouse, dies at 89
- Murrysville oncologist says he had necessary permits to hunt, kill lion
- Westmoreland Co. businessman going to prison
- Steelers defensive end Tuitt shifts into high gear
- Say it ain’t so! Miss Piggy and Kermit split
- Perfect storm rains heroin, pain pills onto Mon Valley
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return
- Spirit ending nonstop flights from Arnold Palmer Regional to Chicago, Las Vegas
- Operating loss mounts at Highmark’s core hospital system
- Steelers notebook: No decision on surgery for rookie CB Golson
- Youngwood to purchase swing, table to satisfy state regulations