Alle-Kiski roundup: Freeport softball team storms to victory
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Freeport's softball team hit 11 home runs last season. The Yellowjackets are aiming for the fences again.
Taylor Massart homered twice, went 5 for 5 and drove in five runs as Freeport outslugged West Shamokin, 16-11, in the season and Section 3-AA opener for both teams Tuesday.
Massart added two doubles and a single, and Alyssa Meta drove in four runs for Freeport (1-0, 1-0), which had 16 hits. West Shamokin (0-1, 0-1) scored 11 runs on six hits and was aided by eight Freeport errors.
Ford City 19, Shady Side Academy 1 — Karlee Smith drove in five runs on two hits, including a triple, as Ford City (1-0, 1-0) rolled to a Section 3-AA win over Shady Side Academy. Jenna Wolsonovich also tripled and drove in four runs for the Sabers.
Andrea Markilinski struck out six to pick up the win for Ford City (1-0, 1-0).
Fox Chapel 4, Woodland Hills 1 — Winning pitcher Chad Bartlett struck out six to lead Fox Chapel (1-1) to a nonsection win over Woodland Hills (0-2).
The Foxes scored two runs on wild pitches and one on a Woodland Hills error. Taylor Huber went 3-3 for Fox Chapel.
Pine-Richland 7, Knoch 4 — Dane Berezo and J.T. Riley each doubled for Pine-Richland (2-0) in a nonsection win over Knoch (1-1) at Pullman Park.
The Rams out-hit the Knights, 11-4.
Indiana 4, Burrell 2 — Burrell (0-2) walked nine in a nonsection loss to Indiana (2-0). J.R. Andrejcik went had two hits, including an RBI double, and Zac Abel went 3 for 3 for Burrell.
Valley 4, Kittanning 1 — Valley (5-0,3-0) swept the singles matches and split the doubles to beat Kittanning in a Section 4-AA match. Cody Schrecongost, Josh Denham, and Adam Barone all won to keep the Vikings undefeated.
Kiski Area 3, Hempfield 2 — Charles Law swept both sets by 6-0 scores to help Kiski Area (2-3, 2-3) defeat Hempfield in Section 1-AAA play. Tyler Paunovich and Thad Paunovich each won their matches for the Cavaliers.
Plum 3, Latrobe 2 — Nathan Kunkel and Khaynen Yocca each posted 12 kills to lead Plum (2-1, 2-0) to a Section 3-AAA win.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Clues to Chief Justice John Roberts’ thinking on new ObamaCare case
- Time capsule salutes 250 years for Fort Pitt Block House
- Staten scores 21 to lead West Virginia to upset of No. 17 Connecticut
- Alle-Kiski Valley high school notebook: Track and field club coming to Leechburg
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- Horse racing industry banks on Wolf
- For Steelers, a fight to finish for playoff berth
- Lawrenceville boutique owners hope it’s lucky Number Fourteen
- Pitt notebook: Chryst keeps Panthers motivated amid adversity
- Pirates trade Davis to A’s for international signing bonus money
- 100 terrorists killed in Kenya retaliation act