Daily Courier roundup: Mt. Pleasant, Frazier softball teams victorious
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Lindsay Pehrson doubled and singled, and Derica Crowley had two bunt singles as the Mt. Pleasant softball team notched a 5-1 win over visiting Laurel Highlands (1-3, 1-2) in a Section 4-AAA game Thursday. Jocelyn Gula was the winning pitcher for the Vikings (3-1, 2-1). After falling behind, 1-0 in the first inning, Mt. Pleasant scored all five of its runs in the fifth inning.
Frazier 2, West Greene 1 — Monica Joseph had three hits, including the game-winning RBI triple in the eighth inning as the Commodores (3-0, 2-0) pulled out a Section 2-A win over visiting West Greene. Courtney Domonkos posted a pair of singles for Frazier. Andrea Lash was the winning pitcher with nine strikeouts.
Bailey Bennington fanned nine and took the loss for the Pioneers (3-1, 1-1). Bennington had an RBI single, and Lauren Weaver connected for a double for West Greene.
South Park 5, Southmoreland 4 — A late Southmoreland rally fell short as the Scotties (1-2, 1-2) scored just one run with the bases loaded in the seventh in a Section 3-AAA loss to host South Park. Kristen Suhan was the losing pitcher.
Dana Achille led South Park (2-1, 2-1) with three hits, including a double, and earned the victory. Ashley DeMarco and Marissa Jones each added a double.
South Allegheny 16, Geibel 6 — Jake Ciaccia was the losing pitcher as the Gators (0-2) dropped a nonsection game to host South Allegheny (2-2) in five innings.
Track and field
Frazier vs. Washington, Beth-Center — Lauren Timko finished first in the high hurdles (17.0), and Courtney Protos won the 800 (3:06) to help the Frazier girls track team earn a split in a Section 6-AA tri-meet at Washington. The Commodores (1-3, 1-3) beat Beth-Center, 76-63, and lost to Washington, 101-49.
The Frazier boys team also earned a split. The Commodores (2-2, 2-2) beat Beth-Center, 92-43, and lost to Washington, 127-23.
Kiski 3, Connellsville 2 — The Falcons swept the doubles matches but came up short in a Section 1-AAA match to visiting Kiski Area. Larry Becker and Tristan Kozel earned a win at first doubles, and Tyler McFadden and Jake Miller notched a victory at second doubles for Connellsville (1-6, 0-6).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Vermont’s Sanders considers run for president
- Steelers not receiving big returns on their offseason investments
- Rossi: Given start, it’s time for Pitt to finish
- McKeesport won’t waver after shutout loss to Penn-Trafford
- Federal statistics raise red flags about America’s growing diabetes crisis
- LaBar: WWE needs to pick its starter wisely
- Man accidentally shoots himself in North Point Breeze
- Funt, Bialik keep ’em smiling on ‘Camera’
- Ambitious few are turning lighthouses into living spaces
- Angels of Mercy stepping up efforts for new Fayette County animal shelter
- U.S. beacon of hope for world’s transplant patients