High school roundup: Plum baseball team secures 4th in a row
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Junior infielder Mike Maleski powered Class AAAA No. 5 Plum to its fourth straight win Saturday, as the Mustangs downed Kiski Area, 7-3, in a nonsection baseball game at Plum.
Maleski had three hits, including a home run, as Plum (4-0) took a 6-0 lead into the sixth inning.
Will Kirkpatrick added a double for Plum. The game was the season opener for Kiski Area (0-1).
Mt. Pleasant 9, Burrell 8 — Despite scoring four runs in the first inning, Burrell (0-1) couldn't hold off host Mt. Pleasant (2-1).
Eric Clausen went 2 for 4 with a double and two RBI for Burrell.
Indiana 9, Deer Lakes 5 — Sean Thompson went 4 for 4 to lead the Little Indians (1-0) to a nonsection victory over Deer Lakes (0-2) at Pullman Park.
Ryan Crepps doubled and Dan Clark tripled for Indiana. Jimmy Fiel doubled for Deer Lakes.
Deer Lakes 7, Knoch 3 — Leanne Crawford had three hits to power defending WPIAL champion and Class AA preseason No. 1 Deer Lakes (1-0) to a season-opening win over Class AAA Knoch (4-2) at Pullman Park.
Courtney Lubick added a double and two RBI.
Maureen Hutchinson also had a two-base hit for the Lancers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Boston College football coach Addazio can’t get enough of the game
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Moon girls team is savoring a return to big-school soccer
- HS highlight reel: Red, White & Blue Invite set for Saturday
- Pittsburgh police force’s diversity worsens since ACLU filed discrimination lawsuit in 2012
- Gorman: Mt. Lebanon coach leads USA to gold
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy TV’s odds