Pine-Richland girls lacrosse on the go at 2-0; parity in scoring is key
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Pine-Richland opened section play at Quaker Valley with a 12-7 win. The Lady Rams scored first and kept a comfortable lead the rest of the game.
The Lady Rams showed scoring diversity, and Tess Drotar netting four goals two assists. Maddy Collins chipped in with three goals, Leah Reimer had two goals and a pair of assists, Kim Lubic logged two goals and an assist and Taylor Thene scored a goal.
The Lady Rams' first home game against Sewickley Academy included a benefit for the Headstrong foundation. Headstrong fundraises for and supports those afflicted with blood cancers.
P-R's own Maria Ciarrocca is battling the disease, and the students played in her honor. Pine-Richland jumped to an early lead in a 15-14 win, but Sewickley answered and the game was on.
Although the Lady Rams led by up to four goals at one point, the score was within one in the last minute.
Pine-Richland goalie Kaelin Clogan came up with some critical saves at the end to seal the win.
Scoring leaders for the Rams were Drotar (five goals, three assists) and Collins (five goals, one assist).
Thene added three goals two assists, and Callie Smallwood tallied a goal.
After two games, the Lady Rams have assists on 20 of 27 goals, a testament to their teamwork.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cole working to become Penguins’ next Martin on defense
- Pirates say goodbye to veteran leaders Burnett, Ramirez
- Steelers notebook: Starting DEs not leaving the field
- Opposing TEs Miller, Gates took differing paths to greatness
- Pitt, WR Boyd look to break out against Virginia
- Bomb blasts kill 86 at peace rally in Turkey; 186 injured
- Gorman: WPIAL must answer with power move
- NFL notebook: Cardinals to stay in W.Va. ahead of Steelers game
- State woos Kennametal with $1M in incentives to stay in Pa.
- Penn State to face improving Indiana team
- Marshals seek parole violator who walked away from Downtown treatment center