Pine-Richland girls lacrosse on the go at 2-0; parity in scoring is key
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Pine-Richland opened section play at Quaker Valley with a 12-7 win. The Lady Rams scored first and kept a comfortable lead the rest of the game.
The Lady Rams showed scoring diversity, and Tess Drotar netting four goals two assists. Maddy Collins chipped in with three goals, Leah Reimer had two goals and a pair of assists, Kim Lubic logged two goals and an assist and Taylor Thene scored a goal.
The Lady Rams' first home game against Sewickley Academy included a benefit for the Headstrong foundation. Headstrong fundraises for and supports those afflicted with blood cancers.
P-R's own Maria Ciarrocca is battling the disease, and the students played in her honor. Pine-Richland jumped to an early lead in a 15-14 win, but Sewickley answered and the game was on.
Although the Lady Rams led by up to four goals at one point, the score was within one in the last minute.
Pine-Richland goalie Kaelin Clogan came up with some critical saves at the end to seal the win.
Scoring leaders for the Rams were Drotar (five goals, three assists) and Collins (five goals, one assist).
Thene added three goals two assists, and Callie Smallwood tallied a goal.
After two games, the Lady Rams have assists on 20 of 27 goals, a testament to their teamwork.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- McKeesport OKs taking vacant homes via eminent domain
- Duquesne teachers, district reach tentative agreement
- C-SPAN bus brings lessons to McKeesport Area students
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Highmark to increase premiums, limit access to health care in new plans
- Harrison man to stand trial, accused of raping 15-year-old girl
- Woman dies in fall at McConnells Mill State Park
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘petty special’