Frazier softball team blank Monessen
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Monica Joseph had three hits, including a double, as the Frazier softball team defeated visiting Monessen, 12-0, in five innings Monday in a Section 2-A contest. Andrea Lash and Hannah Kline each doubled and singled, and Brittany Strothers ripped a triple.
Alexis Livingstone and Caitlyn Brown each notched a double. Lash surrendered just two hits to the Greyhounds (4-3, 2-3) and was the winning pitcher for the Commodores (4-1, 3-1).
Serra Catholic 8, Frazier 4 — Jaime Fell homered and hit a pair of doubles, but the Commodores (2-4, 0-1) fell to host Serra in Section 2-A. Nick Smalich was the losing pitcher.
Wayne Hydak hit a three-run double and was the winning pitcher for Serra (5-1, 1-0). Parker Janosko also doubled.
Clairton 14, Geibel 4 — The Gators (0-4, 0-1) scored four runs in the third inning but dropped a five-inning decision to host Clairton (2-2, 1-0) in Section 2-A. Jake Ciaccia was the losing pitcher.
Derry 12, Mt. Pleasant 8 — Luke Ridilla and Lucas Maloy each doubled and drove in two runs as Derry (4-1, 3-0) beat host Mt. Pleasant in Section 2-AAA. Johnny Panizzi also knocked in a pair of runs. Robby Hebenthal and Zack Zimmerman each doubled. Connor Wege was the winning pitcher.
Ryan Hudec tripled and collected two RBI to lead the Vikings (4-3, 1-1). Joey Paul and Mitch Matlas each smacked a double.
Steel Valley 12, Southmoreland 2 — Steel Valley (3-1, 3-0) scored nine runs in the first inning on its way to a five-inning win over the visiting Scotties in Section 4-AA.
Brandon Donovan was the winning pitcher.
Jake Porter doubled, and Michael Baird was the losing pitcher for Southmoreland (3-4, 1-2).
Section 1-AAA singles — Connellsville's Jim Manges and Tim Zeigler were eliminated in the first round of the Section 1-AAA singles tournament. Manges dropped a 10-5 decision to Norwin's Tyrell Greenwood. Zeigler lost to Penn-Trafford's Cullen Price, 10-0.
Section 1-AA singles — Southmoreland's Tyler Fox and Kevin Bundridge each won their opening match of the Section 1-AA singles tournament but were eliminated in the second round.
Fox started with a 10-1 win over McGuffey's Drevin Gallentine but lost to Greensburg Central Catholic's Dan Seamans, 10-6. Bundridge beat Mt. Pleasant's Jacob Trout, 10-0, but fell to Brownsville's Ryan Hartz, 11-10.
Mt. Pleasant's Alex Temple lost in the first round to California's Mario Tiberie, 10-4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Boston College football coach Addazio can’t get enough of the game
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Moon girls team is savoring a return to big-school soccer
- Pittsburgh police force’s diversity worsens since ACLU filed discrimination lawsuit in 2012
- HS highlight reel: Red, White & Blue Invite set for Saturday
- TED Talks event to appeal to Pittsburgh millenials
- Gorman: Mt. Lebanon coach leads USA to gold