Greensburg Tribune-Review athletes of the week: Derry's Luke Ridilla, Penn-Trafford's Ashleigh Yanniruberto
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Claim to fame: Ridilla doubled to drive in the eventual game-winning run and drew three walks to lead Derry (1-0) to a 4-1 win over East Allegheny on Saturday. Ridilla, an all-section pick last season, will try to help Derry improve on last year's 8-10 record, which included a 5-9 mark in Section 2-AAA.
“(Saturday) went pretty well,” he said. “I wish we pulled the bats out more and we could have done pretty well over East Allegheny. But overall, it was a pretty good game.”
What are the team's expectations this year?
The team is aspiring to win the section. We are hoping we could make a deep run in the state playoffs. I think we have a solid team, and I think we can do it.
What will it take to accomplish that?
We need to pull out the bats. We definitely have some good sticks on our team. But sometimes they don't show up. But if we go into each game with a good attitude, I think we will do fine.
Personally, what do you need to improve on?
I started switch-hitting this year. I think it will help me with all the college scouting. I need to also improve with my fielding.
Who is the player you model your game after?
Derek Jeter. He is so good with his glove, and I love that he hits more for average than power.
If you could meet anyone in the world, who would it be?
Bill Gates. I would like to have a tech talk with him because I'm into gaming, computers and stuff like that.
Claim to fame: Yanniruberto had two hits and drove in two runs for Penn-Trafford (1-1) in a 6-0 win over Belle Vernon on Saturday. An all-section pick last year, she will try to improve defensively at shortstop after committing four errors last season.
“I thought I started off pretty well,” she said. “We have been working on our hitting in practice. It paid off with the two hits and two RBI (against Belle Vernon).”
What are the team's expectations?
I hope we do really well this season. We hope to make it to the playoffs, which we missed out on last season. Our main goal is to win the section.
What do you need to do to win the section?
We need to have fewer errors and start playing a full seven innings. If we are up, we need to keep going and finish out the game.
What do you need to improve on personally?
I need to improve on both my hitting and fielding. I think I can always improve in both aspects. I want to get my average up higher and start hitting sooner this year. I started to hit late last year.
As a captain, what have you told the team to fulfill your goals?
We need to make sure everyone knows we want to go out there and win every game we play. We want to win as many possible games. We have the team to win the section only if we play to our capabilities. If we do, we can win against any team in our section.
Who is your role model?
My dad. He has gone through so much to get where he is today. He gives 100 percent in everything he does. It's how I am, too.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pens get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- Pirates trade Snider to Orioles for minor league pitcher
- Now a Patriot, RB Blount’s thrilled to have moved on from Steelers
- Medicare payments to tie doctor, hospital payments to quality rather than volume of care
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Letang produces 5 assists in return as Penguins defeat Jets, 5-3
- Winfield man is one of a few to attend all 49 Super Bowl games
- Pennsylvania shale gas producers received hundreds of environmental citations in 4 years, PennEnvironment says
- Penn Hills water main break creates car-swallowing sinkhole
- Cal U professor who died in campus office was lawyer, civil rights leader
- Pittsburgh to consider measure to give city employees 6 weeks of paid parental leave