Sewickley-area students finding success with Three Rivers Rowing
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Thanks to boys and girls from the Sewickley area, the Three Rivers Rowing Association junior team is off to a strong start.
Quaker Valley students Iris Ferris, Callie McGowan, Sydney Bichsel and Jane Merriman were part of a girls varsity 8 boat that took first place at the Golden Bear Regatta in Columbus, Ohio last month.
Gina Lucia, a junior at Oakland Catholic who lives in Sewickley, also competed.
In boys varsity 8, Quaker Valley senior bow Tim Lagnese and Quaker Valley junior stroke Dylan Redzanic rowed in a boat that finished second.
Quaker Valley's Abi Popovic, Caitlin Cary, Anna Farnan and Haley Fox were on a girls novice 8 boat that won convincingly.
Sewickley Academy freshman Sophia Carlson also was a boat member.
A winning boat in the boys novice division included Quaker Valley freshman Parke Lambert, as well as St. James eighth graders John Peilert and Matt Rooney.
Rowers also have excelled individually.
At the North Allegheny Indoor Championships last month, Lagnese claimed a gold medal in the men's lightweight varsity division with a mark of 6 minutes, 36 seconds.
Quaker Valley senior Catherine Michaels (7:41.8) took first place in women's varsity.
Ferris (women's varsity) and Redzanic (men's junior varsity) captured silver medals.
“It's great the way we're matching up as a team,” said Redzanic, 17.
According to Three Rivers Rowing junior coach Rick Brown, more than a third of the squad's 75 members attend school or reside in the Sewickley area.
“Quaker Valley really supports rowing,” Brown said. “We get kids by word of mouth.”
Redzanic understands the sport's appeal.
“Nothing beats being on the river,” he said.
The team will compete on Saturday at the Cincinnati Invitational.
“The big goal is to do well at the Midwest Championships so we qualify for nationals,” Lagnese said.
Top finishers at the Midwest Regional Regatta next month in Cincinnati will advance to the USRowing Youth National Championships, to be held June 7-9 in Oak Ridge, Tenn.
Karen Kadilak is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers defensive end Tuitt shifts into high gear
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return
- Rain postpones Pirates-Cubs game
- Steelers notebook: No decision on surgery for rookie CB Golson
- Storms knock out power to thousands of customers in Western Pa.
- Steelers’ Mitchell taking cautious approach about dealing with injuries
- MLB Notebook: Passport snag strikes Twins call-up
- Pirates notebook: Trade movement confidence booster for Morse
- Pitt’s Boyd, Blair suspended for Youngstown State game
- Authorities identify 2 men killed in fiery crash in Pittsburgh
- Doctors to be given star ratings on UPMC site