Hampton girls lacrosse team succeeds despite injuries
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A good group of returning seniors coupled with a great deal of individual talent has Hampton girls lacrosse coach Autumn Bullion fielding a team that is getting a little better each game.
Although a lot looks positive early on, a negative is the fact a handful of good players have missed time with injuries. However, the reserve players are getting experience and have looked good doing it.
The offense is led by scoring leader Christy McGrath, a player Bullion said is a good attacker. Mackenzie Baldinger is a low attacker and the voice of the team.
“Mackenzie is the vocal leader, especially on the field,” Bullion said.
Attacker Alli Lang is not afraid to drive to the net and is versatile. Another player Bullion said has a versatile game is Halli Larkin, an aggressive midfielder with a pretty good shot.
On defense, Jenna Yardis is a multi-talented low defender whom Bullion can put anywhere there is a need.
That core has been keeping the team competitive while prominent players like Nancy Happle and Bri Intrieri have battled injuries.
“Bri is a player to watch and very dependable on defense, and Nancy is also hurt right now, but I expect to have her back,” Bullion said.
“They are the key to the defense.”
In the meantime, Alex Grob has stepped in and held the unit together while the senior leaders mend.
Bullion calls junior Gabby Scherer the silent leader and a hard worker who is an important part of this team.
The coach also said Hayley Eyphers is battling back after missing much of last season. The midfielder has not seen a lot of playing time but is hopeful to return.
“We have had a lot of younger girls work really hard in the offseason, and they got a lot stronger,” Bullion said. “Overall as a team, we have a lot of players who can breakout and take over and have a very young group.”
Bullion said that as this team learns to play together and continue to work on the basics, the players will get stronger fundamentally.
No matter who is in the game, she said, they will be able to contribute.
Jerry Clark is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers accomplish mission to get younger, faster on defense
- Bubble players get last chance to impress Steelers
- McKeesport council approves mineral rights lease under Renzie Park
- Residents oppose sewage tank plan
- Locke struggles again early, Pirates lose again in Milwaukee
- McKeesport honors ‘message’ bearers
- Electrical cable fire leads to bridge closure
- Ex-Port Vue police chief recognized
- Asking price for Penguins franchise said to be at a record $750M
- Police: Woman faked Mt. Pleasant robbery
- Western Pennsylvania schools’ denial of access to roofers prompts suit