High school roundup: Knoch baseball team back at .500 after win
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Knoch's baseball team knows it doesn't have to be flashy to be successful.
The Knights plodded their way back to .500, posting their second straight shutout, 3-0, over Valley on Wednesday at Pullman Park in Butler.
Gavin Miller pitched a complete game with seven strikeouts, and Chase Voltz singled three times for the Knights (3-3, 0-2) in the Section 5-AAA win.
Taylor Sharer doubled and made a diving catch to end the game for Knoch.
Valley (1-4, 0-2) managed four hits against Miller.
Hampton 10, Kittanning 0 (5 inn.) — Winning pitcher Ben Vey allowed two hits and two walks with seven strikeouts in five scoreless innings to lead Hampton (6-1, 2-0) to a Section 5-AAA win over Kittanning (1-3, 0-2).
Zack Staszak doubled and Steve Dayton tripled for Hampton.
Mars 11, Highlands 1 — Matt Parrish held Highlands (1-3,0-2) to four hits as Mars (5-3, 2-0) picked up a Section 5-AAA win. Mars had 12 hits, three of them from Ben Erdhal.
Kiski Area 7, Albert Gallatin 3 — Jack Emmerling's complete-game victory helped lead Kiski Area (1-3, 0-3) over Albert Gallatin (1-5, 1-4) in Section 2-AAAA play.
Emmerling had seven strikeouts and was 2 for 2 with two RBI, and teammate Troy Glendenning doubled and stole two bases for the Cavaliers, who have won two in a row.
Valley 12, West Shamokin 4 — Blaise Dawson provided plenty of offense for Valley in a Section 3-AA win over West Shamokin.
Dawson singled twice, doubled, scored twice and drove in another three runs for Valley (2-3, 2-3).
Leah Baum doubled for West Shamokin (2-4, 2-4).
Burrell-Deer Lakes postponed — A battle of unbeatens will have to wait after Burrell (5-0, 5-0) and No. 1 Deer Lakes (6-0, 5-0) had their Section 3-AA game in West Deer postponed because of lightning.
The game, which had been moved from April 2 because of poor weather conditions, will be played at 4 p.m. Monday.
A second Burrell-Deer Lakes contest is set for 7 p.m. next Thursday at Burrell's Bon Air Elementary School.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Beleaguered Steelers need MVP from Big Ben
- Big plays cost Steelers defense in 43-19 preseason loss at Bills
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin mum on Bryant suspension
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off
- Architecture: Pittsburgh history in 10 houses
- QB Vick hits ground running in debut
- Biertempfel: Pittsburgh native faced quick learning curve as Marlins GM
- Pitt star running back Conner remains grounded despite success
- Starting 9: Pirates place renewed emphasis on nabbing base-stealers
- Pennsylvania welfare employees targeted in crackdown