Local roundup: Fox Chapel volleyball team finishes 2nd in own tournament
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Fox Chapel reached the semifinals before falling to runner-up Penn-Trafford, 25-23, on Saturday in the Fox Chapel boys volleyball tournament.
Led by co-MVP Gabe Pritz, Peters Township won the championship, edging Penn-Trafford, 25-22, in the finals.
Penn-Trafford's Jessie Palluzi shared MVP honors.
In the quarterfinals, Fox Chapel defeated Deer Lakes, 25-21, and Plum fell, 25-19, to Bethel Park.
Michael Eisner and Josh Tublin of Fox Chapel made the all-tournament team along with another local player, Deer Lakes' Nick Roberts. Eisner finished with 44 kills in the tournament, while Tublin had a passing percentage of 2.22.
Track and field
Kiski Area fares well — Andrew Dickun sprinted to a championship in the 100 meters at the Wildcat Invitational at Hempfield's Spartan Stadium. Dickun posted a time of 11.25 seconds.
Teammate Ben Kinnamon took third in the 200.
On the girls' side, Tatiana Cloud of Kiski Area finished second in the 300-meter hurdles and fourth in the 100 hurdles in the Lady Spartan Invitational at the same venue.
Kiski Area's boys finished sixth and the girls eighth out of 15 teams.
Butler Invitational — The Fox Chapel boys won the team title at Friday's Butler Invitational, which ended at almost midnight. Ethan Martin won the 1,600- and 3,200, and Mike Mawhinney won the 400 for the Foxes.
Springdale's Emily Lelis won the girls' 100 hurdles.
In the boys' 3,200 run, Kiski Area's Brent Kennedy was second and Colin Martin of Fox Chapel was third.
Fox Chapel's Brandon Mitchell was second in the 110 hurdles, Brian Papich took second in the long jump and the Foxes' 1,600 relay nabbed silver.
Burrell's Kami Kaczanowicz placed second in the 100.
Riverview 16, St. Joseph 0 (4 inn.) — Winning pitcher Hannah Larkin had three hits, including a homer, and three RBI as Riverview (4-2, 4-1) won a Section 3-A game over St. Joseph (2-4, 2-4).
Sadie Buchser and Casey DiRiggi also had three RBI, with Buchser and Ashley Bruni also hitting homers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mental health facility won’t take Franklin Regional stabbing suspect as patient
- Steelers film session: Harrison on the field often
- At least $100,000 in appliances stolen from new homes around Western Pa.
- Steelers are vowing to fix the costly penalties, lack of self-discipline
- McKeesport educator honored by nomination for Athena Award
- McKeesport crash sends motorcyclist to hospital
- Elizabeth Township hires manager, assistant
- McKeesport car chase suspects returned to jail
- Mon Valley bridges moved up to rapid replacement list
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- Healthy again, Penguins’ Dupuis eager for game action