Valley News high school notebook:
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Basketball season isn't quite finished for some of the WPIAL's top players.
Six Alle-Kiski players will play in the Roundball Classic all-star games Saturday at Geneva College.
The Class A/City League/District 10 boys will play Class AA at 6 p.m., with Class AAA vs. Class AAAA at 8.
St. Joseph's John Arcuri will play for the Class A team, Deer Lakes' Tim Jaczesko is on the Class AA roster, and Kittanning's Sterling Henry will suit up for Class AAA.
On the girls side, Deer Lakes guard Becca Babincak will play for the West in a game featuring players from WPIAL Class AA and A and City League players. That game is at 2 p.m.
Highlands guard Nikki Misejka will play for the Class AAA team against a Class AAAA team that will include Kiski Area forward Maddie Antone. Tip is set for about 4 p.m.
Kiski Area senior Maddie Antone signed a letter of intent to play softball at Winthrop on Wednesday, the first day of the regular signing period for softball and other sports.
Antone also considered Tennessee Tech and Allegheny and had numerous opportunities for basketball.
A 5-foot-10 power-hitting shortstop, Antone has started four years in three sports; basketball and volleyball are the others.
She was the 2012 Valley News Dispatch Girls Athlete of the Year.
Clark to Gannon
Valley senior Bill Clark will continue his golf career at Gannon. Clark qualified for the WPIAL and PIAA championships for the first time last fall and also tied for the Section 8-AAA title.
A trio of local wrestlers posted strong finishes at the FloWrestling National Tournament at the Kovalchick Complex at Indiana (Pa.) University.
Kiski Area's Cole Landowski took second in the 138-pound bracket, while Kittanning's Jason Nolf was runner-up at 132, and Eric Hong of Verona was fourth at 106.
The boys earned All-America status.
Add two more local winners of the Hines Ward Positive Athlete award.
Plum seniors Matt Shepherd (boys volleyball) and Stephanie Bono (cheerleading) will be honored during a ceremony April 20 at the Heinz History Center.
Also among the 26 award recipients are Freeport freshman Audrey Clawson (girls golf) and Fox Chapel senior Kelly Capone (girls tennis).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park
- Air Algerie plane with 116 disappears from radar in Africa
- New Penguins coach to meet with Malkin
- Hookah bar on tap for Greensburg
- 3 identified in Route 66 crash near Delmont
- Ex-Milwaukee archbishop told he can’t spend final days at St. Vincent Archabbey
- Fayette woman dies in fall from ATV on National Pike
- Greensburg pawn shop aids in arrest of home repair scam suspect