Valley News Dispatch Spotlight Athletes: Kiski Area's Andrew Dickun, Riverview's Hannah Larkin
TribLIVE Sports Videos
School: Kiski Area
Report card: Dickun took first place in the 100-meter dash at Saturday's Wildcat Invitational at Hempfield Area High School. He also won the same event at the Altoona Igloo Invitational on March 31.
What was your goal for the Wildcat meet?
My goal was just to do my best. I had a lot of training in for it. I was kind of sick, too.
What was the experience like in Altoona?
It was similar, but it wasn't as competitive.
Do you play any other sports?
Track is my only sport. I've been doing it since seventh grade.
Your name didn't appear in box scores much last year, but you seem to be on them a lot this year. What has changed?
Last year, we had a really good team with a lot of good seniors. We had a lot of depth that no one really knew about.
What is something you'd like people to know about you?
Track should be taken more seriously. We train hard all year round. I've been training since last season ended. I want to thank my coaches who take time out of their lives to help me.
— Dave Yohe
Cl ass: Sophomore
Report card: Larkin has a team-leading batting average of .643 (18 for 28) with two home runs, a double and 13 RBI. On the mound, she is 4-3 with 24 strikeouts. She also plays first base.
What goes through your head when you're pitching well and striking out a majority of the batters you face?
I feel really good, and I feel like I'm confident in the beginning.
Would you rather pitch a perfect game or hit for the cycle?
I'd rather hit for the cycle mainly because I like hitting a lot.
What's been behind the success of the team so far this year?
I think our bats have been good this year, but our fielding needs work.
Do you play any other sports at Riverview?
I play soccer, volleyball and basketball. I've lettered in all of them. I started playing soccer this year as a goalie. Softball is my favorite though.
What's it like balancing all four sports and academics?
It can be hard, but I love sports, so I'll do whatever I can to play sports and be good in academics.
— D.J. Vasil
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates edge Red Sox, 3-2, complete 3-game sweep
- Steelers’ Polamalu relying on smarts as physical skills decline
- Steelers’ Timmons looks to reverse defense’s struggles
- Ex-Gateway coach Smith making mark at Penn State
- Alligator spotted at Cheswick shoreline
- Pitt star running back Conner adjusting to higher profile this year
- Crosby, Malkin to miss start of Penguins camp
- Suburban Philadelphia high school coach resigns over role in gay beating
- Armed robberies reported in Lawrenceville
- Gorman: ‘Sisters first, tennis second’
- Mystery writer Palumbo keeps his voice set in Western Pa.