Stahl maintains torrid scoring pace in Baldwin girls' lacrosse
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Did you know that:
• Alexa Stahl, Carla Nicola and Shannon Donnelly are co-captains on the Baldwin girls' varsity lacrosse team?
Stahl, a senior, and Nicola, a junior, both are attack wingers, while Donnelly is a senior defender.
Stahl, who with 63 goals last year became the third player in team history to break the 50-goal mark in one season, leads the Lady Highlanders in scoring this season. Through seven games, Stahl had netted 29 goals. Nicola ranked second on the team in goals with eight.
Other goal-scorers for the Lady Highlanders are junior Dzeneta Kajan, senior Abby Stock, juniors Sami George, Emily Jacobetz and Desiree Allridge, and sophomore Maura Meyer.
• Amy Piotrowski, a Seton-La Salle graduate, is a senior member of the Carlow University softball team?
Piotrowski, a nursing major, can play second baseman/outfielder for the Celtics. She has been honored as an NAIA scholar-athlete and USCAA scholar-athlete.
• Seton-La Salle's David Boehme and Sam Kostyak both were hitting at a .500 clip for the Rebels' baseball team last week?
Boehme was lauded as an athlete of the week by the Tribune-Review.
“I look forward to the rest of the season,” he said. “We have a lot of young talent. I think we have a good shot at making the playoffs.”
• Baldwin's track and field program holds three Butler Invitational meet records?
Krista Kuss broke the girls' 200-meter dash record in 2011 with a 24.97, and Brittney Edwards set the girls' triple jump mark in 2010 with a leap of 38 feet, 7.5 inches.
Also in 2010, the Highlanders' 3200-meter relay unit — consisting of Dennis Logan, George “Jeep” Crompton, Matt Cecala and Arkangelo James — established a new meet record with a 7:59.16 time.
• Thomas Jefferson's Colton Booher and Joe McHugh rank among the leading hitters in the WPIAL?
Booher, a senior center fielder, had a robust .560 batting average last week, with four doubles, one home run and seven RBI.
McHugh, a junior shortstop, was hitting .440, with three doubles, one home run and six RBI.
• Baldwin pounded McKeesport, 11-1, last week in a Section 3-AAAA baseball game?
The Highlanders collected 12 hits in the five-inning contest, and held an 8-1 lead after two frames. Alex Pantuso, a sophomore, was the winning pitcher.
• Relay runners in the Brentwood girls' track program include the likes of Christina Cranmer, Adau Deng, Tammy Garcia, Christine Gerstel, Brianna Gidias, Makayla Hannan, Mia Jandric, Sydney Luther, Jordan Schwartz and Dominique Young?
On the boys' team, relay runners include Dallas Bowie, Pat Carr, Neil Christopher, Dan Faix, Bill Madeja, Jack Murano, Adam Myers, Ryan Shortley, Zack Sniadach, Andrew Stofesky and Brandon Striplin.
• The St. Gabriel girls' varsity basketball team won the Diocesan Class A championship, and placed second in the state during the 2012-13 season?
• Thomas Jefferson's baseball team rallied for seven runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to defeat Belle Vernon, 15-12, last week?
Jordan Campano, a senior outfielder, and Jake Benack, a junior infielder, collected three hits apiece for the winning side. Junior infielder Steve Kunzman belted a home run.
• Relay runners in the Baldwin girls' track program include the likes of Alexandra Barr, Stephanie Bott, Ashley Czernieweski-Hagan, Dani Dubrosky, Danielle Lippl, Gabby Loeffler, Madelin Pender, Becky Terleski and Asia Woods?
On the boys' team, relayers include Luke Aaron, Adam Arnold, Jerome Brown, Dennis Doyle, Gary Jackson, George Kelly, Christian Labash, Colin McLaughlin, Mike McLaughlin and Belmedin Nurkic.
• Eight players scored goals for the Baldwin boys' lacrosse team in a 14-8 win against Greensburg Central Catholic last week?
Baldwin was led by senior attacker Rico Roberto, who was named player of the game off his three-goal, one-assist effort.
Other goal-scorers were senior midfielders Kaleb Reckley and Vic Murphy, junior midfielder Anthony Thornton, and junior attacker Wes Richards, with two apiece; along with senior attackers Louie Reda and Jake Naylor, and senior midfielder Matt Pepper.
Roberto, sophomore attacker Rocco Ruscitto and junior defender Dan Goga were credited with assists.
• Brentwood's softball team belted Riverview, 15-17, earlier this week?
The Lady Spartans scored 11 runs in the sixth inning. Brentwood's Sydney Bauer had three RBI in the game.
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5820 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Not to be left behind, speedy Steelers are on the fast track in NFL
- Rossi: Steelers will make small strides this season
- The IRS scandal: Do the Lois Lerner emails still exist?
- Starkey: Bucs still battlin’
- Steelers have plenty of new faces at wide receiver
- Monroeville firefighters hope hot photo calendar will help raise money
- WPIAL coaches, quarterbacks have concerns about using newly approved footballs
- Arizona Uzi shooting that accidentally killed instructor ‘just stupid’
- Why Steelers will — or won’t — snap out of their funk
- Reputed leader of motorcycle gang returned to Pa. to face charges
- Poll: Parents uncomfortable with youth football