Stahl maintains torrid scoring pace in Baldwin girls' lacrosse
By Ray Fisher
Published: Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 9:00 p.m.
Did you know that:
• Alexa Stahl, Carla Nicola and Shannon Donnelly are co-captains on the Baldwin girls' varsity lacrosse team?
Stahl, a senior, and Nicola, a junior, both are attack wingers, while Donnelly is a senior defender.
Stahl, who with 63 goals last year became the third player in team history to break the 50-goal mark in one season, leads the Lady Highlanders in scoring this season. Through seven games, Stahl had netted 29 goals. Nicola ranked second on the team in goals with eight.
Other goal-scorers for the Lady Highlanders are junior Dzeneta Kajan, senior Abby Stock, juniors Sami George, Emily Jacobetz and Desiree Allridge, and sophomore Maura Meyer.
• Amy Piotrowski, a Seton-La Salle graduate, is a senior member of the Carlow University softball team?
Piotrowski, a nursing major, can play second baseman/outfielder for the Celtics. She has been honored as an NAIA scholar-athlete and USCAA scholar-athlete.
• Seton-La Salle's David Boehme and Sam Kostyak both were hitting at a .500 clip for the Rebels' baseball team last week?
Boehme was lauded as an athlete of the week by the Tribune-Review.
“I look forward to the rest of the season,” he said. “We have a lot of young talent. I think we have a good shot at making the playoffs.”
• Baldwin's track and field program holds three Butler Invitational meet records?
Krista Kuss broke the girls' 200-meter dash record in 2011 with a 24.97, and Brittney Edwards set the girls' triple jump mark in 2010 with a leap of 38 feet, 7.5 inches.
Also in 2010, the Highlanders' 3200-meter relay unit — consisting of Dennis Logan, George “Jeep” Crompton, Matt Cecala and Arkangelo James — established a new meet record with a 7:59.16 time.
• Thomas Jefferson's Colton Booher and Joe McHugh rank among the leading hitters in the WPIAL?
Booher, a senior center fielder, had a robust .560 batting average last week, with four doubles, one home run and seven RBI.
McHugh, a junior shortstop, was hitting .440, with three doubles, one home run and six RBI.
• Baldwin pounded McKeesport, 11-1, last week in a Section 3-AAAA baseball game?
The Highlanders collected 12 hits in the five-inning contest, and held an 8-1 lead after two frames. Alex Pantuso, a sophomore, was the winning pitcher.
• Relay runners in the Brentwood girls' track program include the likes of Christina Cranmer, Adau Deng, Tammy Garcia, Christine Gerstel, Brianna Gidias, Makayla Hannan, Mia Jandric, Sydney Luther, Jordan Schwartz and Dominique Young?
On the boys' team, relay runners include Dallas Bowie, Pat Carr, Neil Christopher, Dan Faix, Bill Madeja, Jack Murano, Adam Myers, Ryan Shortley, Zack Sniadach, Andrew Stofesky and Brandon Striplin.
• The St. Gabriel girls' varsity basketball team won the Diocesan Class A championship, and placed second in the state during the 2012-13 season?
• Thomas Jefferson's baseball team rallied for seven runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to defeat Belle Vernon, 15-12, last week?
Jordan Campano, a senior outfielder, and Jake Benack, a junior infielder, collected three hits apiece for the winning side. Junior infielder Steve Kunzman belted a home run.
• Relay runners in the Baldwin girls' track program include the likes of Alexandra Barr, Stephanie Bott, Ashley Czernieweski-Hagan, Dani Dubrosky, Danielle Lippl, Gabby Loeffler, Madelin Pender, Becky Terleski and Asia Woods?
On the boys' team, relayers include Luke Aaron, Adam Arnold, Jerome Brown, Dennis Doyle, Gary Jackson, George Kelly, Christian Labash, Colin McLaughlin, Mike McLaughlin and Belmedin Nurkic.
• Eight players scored goals for the Baldwin boys' lacrosse team in a 14-8 win against Greensburg Central Catholic last week?
Baldwin was led by senior attacker Rico Roberto, who was named player of the game off his three-goal, one-assist effort.
Other goal-scorers were senior midfielders Kaleb Reckley and Vic Murphy, junior midfielder Anthony Thornton, and junior attacker Wes Richards, with two apiece; along with senior attackers Louie Reda and Jake Naylor, and senior midfielder Matt Pepper.
Roberto, sophomore attacker Rocco Ruscitto and junior defender Dan Goga were credited with assists.
• Brentwood's softball team belted Riverview, 15-17, earlier this week?
The Lady Spartans scored 11 runs in the sixth inning. Brentwood's Sydney Bauer had three RBI in the game.
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Armstrong County crash
- Rice cornerback among 3 draft prospects to visit Steelers
- Astronomers find most Earth-like planet yet
- NHL notebook: Blues begin series without T.J. Oshie
- UPMC: As many as 27,000 employees affected in data breach
- Kovacevic: Bylsma’s moves — yes, moves — pay off
- Pirates notebook: Tabata OK’d to return to play
- Pittsburgh Public Theater will be staging George Bernard Shaw classic ‘Candida’
- ‘Frozen’ soundtrack: Kids can’t ‘Let It Go’
- Dancer Hadala retiring after storied career with Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre
- Fashion FYI: Deschanel, Hilfiger team up for new Macy’s line