Alle-Kiski roundup: Freeport baseball earns trip to WPIAL playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Freeport's baseball team put together one of its best offensive performances of the season to punch its ticket to the WPIAL Class AA playoffs Monday.
The Yellowjackets (10-2, 8-2) accumulated seven extra-base hits during a 15-7 road win over Apollo-Ridge (7-10, 3-6) in Section 3-AA play.
Levi Negley doubled three times and drove in two runs, and Matt Swartz doubled twice and had four RBI for Freeport, which finished with 12 hits. Josh Beale homered, and Luke Mariotti went 3 for 4.
Sam Held homered for Apollo-Ridge, which scored five runs in the bottom of the fourth.
Knoch 12, Kittanning 0 (5 inn.) — Zach Junk and Cole Shinsky each drove in two runs for Knoch (8-6, 6-2), which scored seven runs in the bottom of the third during the Section 5-AAA game.
Hyte Eurich and Ty Smith tripled for the Knights, and Caleb Thorn doubled.
Winning pitcher Taylor Sharer held Kittanning (2-11, 1-7) to two hits and struck out five.
North Catholic 9, Riverview 5 — North Catholic (6-4, 6-1) scored eight runs in the bottom of the second inning to deal Riverview (10-2, 5-1) its first Section 4-A loss.
Jake Paradise doubled twice, and Nick DiBucci tripled for Riverview, which committed five errors.
Plum 4, Valley 2 — Doubles by Melissa LeClair, Lyndi Garesis and Annie Workman provided Plum (11-4) enough offense to top Valley (4-9) at home.
Each drove in a run for the Mustangs, who had three hits to Valley's four.
Jeannette 9, Apollo-Ridge 2 — Dana Speranza doubled, tripled and drove in a run during the nonsection loss for Apollo-Ridge (3-11), which surrendered only three hits but also walked 12 and committed five errors that helped Jeannette (11-3).
WPIAL Class AA doubles tournament — The Valley duo of Cody Schrecongost and Adam Barone narrowly missed a spot in the semifinals. They lost to Greensburg Central Catholic pair Bargo Patel and Dan Seamons in a tiebreaker after they were deadlocked in their pro set match, 10-10. The tiebreaker score was 9-7.
Schrecongost and Barone won their first-round match, 10-8, over Thomas Jefferson's John Ha and Keaton Lindberg.
The Burrell duo of Tom Spagnolo and Luke Lynam lost, 10-4, in the first round to Thomas Jefferson's Sumanya Gupta and Ritwik Gupta.
WPIAL Class AAA doubles tournament — Fox Chapel's Sid Rajupet and Ben Short will play Shady Side Academy's Alok Nimgaonkar and Chris Grubbs for the tournament championship at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday at North Allegheny.
Rajupet and Short won three matches Monday to advance to the finals. In the first round, they defeated Kiski Area's Thad and Tyler Paunovich, 10-1.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McCullers’, McLendon’s prowess in clogging trenches crucial to Steelers defense
- Rossi: Looking at the next great Steeler
- Steelers swap draft pick for Eagles cornerback
- Penguins not alone in top-heavy approach to salary cap
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Shell shovels millions into proposed Beaver County plant site
- After early criticism, Haley has Steelers offense poised to be even better
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- McCandless woman 1st in region with implant aimed at halting seizures
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined