Daily Courier roundup: Southmoreland girls advance to WPIAL track finals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
e_SDHpHalfway through Wednesday's WPIAL team track and field semifinal meet at Waynesburg, Southmoreland girls assistant coach Zach Cavalier was worried.
He was keeping track of the dual-meet scoring with all three opponents, and the Scotties weren't where he felt they needed to be.
That changed in a hurry.
The Southmoreland girls earned victories over Keystone Oaks, 107-43, OLSH, 110-39, and Waynesburg, 93-57, to earn a spot in the WPIAL team finals May 9 at Baldwin Stadium.
“They all really stepped up to the plate,” Cavalier said. “They all ran great times. We had a lot of (personal records) today. I was really happy with it.”
The Scotties will meet Freeport, South Fayette and Beaver next week in the WPIAL finals.
“I'm just very proud of our team,” Southmoreland girls coach Chuck Brittain said. “They gave a first-class effort and did a great job.”
The boys team defeated Waynesburg, 102-38, and Chartiers-Houston, 90-60, but lost to South Park, 106.5-43.5. South Park advanced to the WPIAL finals.
Hempfield 5, Connellsville 1 — Greg Martin hit a three-run double and earned the victory on the mound, as Hempfield (12-3, 8-2) won in Section 2-AAAA. Ryan Huey took the loss for the Falcons (6-7, 4-7).
Greensburg Salem 3, Mt. Pleasant 2 — Grant Mularski's single drove in the winning run in the sixth inning, as Greensburg Salem (6-9, 5-5) won in Section 2-AAA. Tyler Mellors suffered the loss for Mt. Pleasant (7-9, 4-6).
East Allegheny 7, Southmoreland 1 — Southmoreland fell to 6-10 overall and 3-8 in section play after a Section 4-AA loss.
Monessen 17, Geibel 1(3 inn.) — For the first time since 1987, Monessen is playoff bound, locking up third place in Section 2-A. Justice Rawlins threw a one-hitter with five strikeouts to earn the win for Monessen (6-9, 5-4). Geibel fell to 1-11 overall and 1-8 in section play.
Bishop Canevin 8, Frazier 7 — The Commodores jumped out to an early 3-1 lead but eventually fell in Section 2-A game. Frazier scored three runs in the fifth, including a two-run single by Nick Smalich. The Commodores also scored a run in the seventh and had the tying run at second when the game ended. Blake Herron and Jared Rebovich each had three hits for Frazier.
“We need to beat Geibel and hope Monessen loses to Canevin,” Frazier coach Craig Kordich said. “That's our only hope to get in the playoffs now.”
Southmoreland 4, Brownsville 1 — Tyler Fox, Luke Zeleznik earned singles victories, and the tandems of Davis Simon and Henry Riley and Adam Snyder and Adam Hernley won in doubles to lead Southmoreland (15-0, 12-0) to a Section 1-AA victory.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: At start, are Pens already finished?
- Blairsville district judge placed on leave
- Police: Ambush suspect was military re-enactor
- Identical twins born at West Penn Hospital a rare medical marvel
- Hazelwood man blames repaving job for flooded basement, seeks $50K settlement
- Pittsburgh Public evacuates 3 schools after voicemail threat
- Western Pa. colleges to emphasize curricula for energy, industrial fields
- Sexual assault victim could receive $100K settlement from Pittsburgh
- Marshals make arrest in fatal Strip District shooting
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger still hurting after hard hit from Ravens’ Upshaw
- City of Pittsburgh detective, 2 boys finalize adoption before judge