Valley News Dispatch spotlight athletes: Riverview's Greg Wagner, Highlands' Gabby Miller
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Report card: Wagner broke a 25-year-old school record in the 3,200-meter run with a time of 9 minutes, 44.3 seconds at the Mars Invitational. He followed that with a seventh-place finish last week at the Baldwin Invitational.
Was setting a school record a goal of yours?
I've had it in my mind since sophomore year. I came close to it last year. I was hoping to do it at WPIALs. I was just shocked I broke it when I did.
What do you focus on
when running long distances?
The main focus is usually evaluating my situation. What I really try to do is focus on the kid in front of me. If you're feeling tired, you just worry about staying with him.
Why distance running, as opposed to the sprints?
Freshman year, there were a couple of my friends who were distance runners. They kind of drew me to it. I just wanted to hang out my friends and spend some time with them.
Which event do you like the most?
I started the 3,200 meters in my freshman year. I said to myself, ‘Eight laps? Who wants to do that?' I learned to love it.
You play football and run track. Which do you like more?
I'd definitely say track. I'm not saying football hasn't made me a better runner. It's helped me mentally. On the track it gave me that mental edge to dig deeper.
What is your favorite place to eat?
Right now I'd have to say Carnivores. They're opening another location close to me. I'm a pizza person. I could eat pizza every day of my life.
Report card: The pitcher/first baseman is leading the Golden Rams with a .593 batting average (29 for 49). She also leads the team in home runs (6) and RBI (26). As a pitcher, she is 7-5 with 51 strikeouts.
What is the team's mindset heading into the playoffs?
Our goal is making it past the first game because the past two years we made it but we lost in the first round.
What did it take to produce at the plate this season?
I would say because my dad practices with me so much, he pitches to me and changes his speed and it helps me.
You've struck out once this year. Has that helped your confidence?
It really doesn't affect me. I just want to get on base.
What are your plans after high school?
I will go to St. Vincent to play softball and major in environmental science.
How far do you think the Penguins will go in the playoffs?
I really don't watch hockey much, but I think they will go all the way.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Peduto blasts Wolf’s plan to borrow $3B to shore up pensions
- Inside the Steelers: Williams’ quickness out of backfield evident in drills
- Starkey: Garoppolo baffles Steelers
- McCutchen, Pirates cruise to interleague victory over Twins
- West Liberty pitcher hones skills in South
- Tight ends’ role in Steelers passing game continues to lessen but players remain selfless
- Steelers notebook: LB Dupree sits out backs-on–backers drill
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- Steelers’ Bell unsure why NFL reduced his suspension
- Vallozzi’s Pittsburgh transfers great fare it’s been known for in the Pittsburgh region to the Steel City