male spotlight athlete
TribLIVE Sports Videos
School: Seneca Valley
Claim to fame: Starting catcher helped Seneca Valley snag a 3-2 win over rival North Allegheny last week when he hit a home run on a full count and two outs. He also auctions off homemade baseball bats to raise money for charities such as The Children's Miracle League and Childhood Cancer Awareness.
How did it feel to get the game-winning home run?
I hit it good. I rounded first base and watched it go over the fence. The first thing I did was look down to the bench. After that moment, all I could remember is jumping on home plate and having my teammates maul me in congratulations.
Are you ready for playoffs?
I'm so excited. It's coming up soon and we are getting ready to do one of our traditions we've started since my sophomore year. Every time we make the WPIAL playoffs, we get Mohawks for haircuts.
What are your expectations for playoffs?
I believe nothing less than winning it all. As a team, we are focused on one goal and take it one game at a time because if you win that game, you keep going. I'm hoping for the best. We aren't going to sit down and be satisfied with anything less than that.
How did you start making wooden bats?
My dad is an avid wood worker. When I was 13, I made my first wooden bat for a wooden bat tournament. It's a very unique skill that I have and plan on using in the future. Right now, we are thinking (of calling it the) BG Bat Company. I put two lines and a cross on my bats. It's my maker's mark to solidify it.
Sport: Track and Field
Claim to fame: Dennis took first place in the long and triple jump at the Mars Girls Track and Field Invitational. Her mark of 18-3 in the long jump broke the Invite's previous record of 18-1. She hit 37-1½ in the triple jump and was awarded MVP honors.
Why did you decide to jump?
I was in eighth grade, and they needed people to long and triple jump, so tried it out and it worked. I like how you're on the runway and everybody pays attention to you.
What do you think about on the runway?
I just think about how I am going to run down the runway, my approach and my takeoff of the boards and landing it. I'm trying to get a solid land because that's where I struggle the most.
What are your season expectations?
I hope to do better than last year. I made it to WPIALs and I got gold and silver. I made it to states, but I didn't medal there, so I'm hoping to medal at states.
Are you superstitious?
I wear my lucky socks. I have a pair of socks I wear almost every time. They are Nike black socks. I've almost always done well in them, so I continue to wear them.
What would your runway theme song be?
It's like an older song ... (Sings) Jump, Jump, Mac Dynamite, Jump, Jump.
— Brittany Goncar
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Starkey: Garoppolo baffles Steelers
- Peduto blasts Wolf’s plan to borrow $3B to shore up pensions
- Teenage boys arrested in connection with armed robberies in Shadyside
- ‘Greed is not criminal,’ says judge in McCullough trial
- Tight ends’ role in Steelers passing game continues to lessen but players remain selfless
- Work release inmate walks away from Armstrong County Jail
- Pittsburgh authority hires firm to end long vacancy at North Shore retail space
- Multiple delays to slow travel between Alle-Kiski Valley, Greensburg
- Police: Avonmore mayor found stranger’s lost wallet, took cash from it
- Connellsville man arrested for firing handgun at city’s East Park