Kiski Area's McCutcheon, Ligonier Valley's Grimm win Driscoll Awards
TribLIVE Sports Videos
When Kiski Area athletic director Ryan Berberich read Matt McCutcheon's achievements to the Judge John J. Driscoll Westmoreland County Scholar-Athlete selection committee this month, the first thing he mentioned were McCutcheon's off-the-field traits.
Ligonier Valley athletic director Brett Miller echoed the same sentiments about Maddy Grimm.
McCutcheon and Grimm won the Excellence Award Tuesday at the 57th annual Driscoll Awards banquet at Ferrante's Lakeview Lounge near Greensburg.
The winners, along with nominees from the 18 high schools in the county, displayed excellence in the classroom and on the field.
The other finalists were: Franklin Regional's Dane Brown and Kaitlyn Ruffing, Greensburg Central Catholic's Shannon Hurley and Zach Guiser, Norwin's Matt Stewart, Burrell's Cole Bush, Ligonier Valley's Josh Patrick, Greensburg Salem's Jayne Oberdorf, Hempfield's Janista Frank and Latrobe's Hanna Green.
McCutcheon and Grimm said they were surprised they were selected because there were so many excellent candidates.
“This will rank as one of my top accomplishments because the award is not just based on your athletic accomplishments, but also the classroom,” said McCutcheon, who will wrestle at Penn State.
Grimm, who played football, soccer, basketball and softball, said she followed a simple formula during her high school career.
“School was first, then sports and lastly was my social life,” said Grimm, who will play softball at Kent State.
Former Jeannette athletic director, football coach and teacher Bob Murphy was awarded the Mike and John Ferrante Memorial Award for his contribution to promote high school athletics.
NFL official Dale Hamer, who grew up in Fairhope, Fayette County and officiated in three Super Bowls, was the guest speaker.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ prime-time games shrink attendance at Heinz Field
- Court validates Highmark Medicare plan that excludes UPMC
- Woman’s body found in Adams home
- Starkey: Hockey hypocrites, unite
- State trooper struck by SUV in Westmoreland faces more surgery, long recovery
- Analyst outlines Klein’s supplements, prescriptions
- Slow-moving train hits car in Lawrenceville
- Steelers offense puts up gaudy numbers in season’s 1st half
- Pittsburgh asks judge to let abortion buffer zone remain during legal challenge
- Bayer profit edges higher, raises forecasts
- Maine nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride