Kiski Area's McCutcheon, Ligonier Valley's Grimm win Driscoll Awards
TribLIVE Sports Videos
When Kiski Area athletic director Ryan Berberich read Matt McCutcheon's achievements to the Judge John J. Driscoll Westmoreland County Scholar-Athlete selection committee this month, the first thing he mentioned were McCutcheon's off-the-field traits.
Ligonier Valley athletic director Brett Miller echoed the same sentiments about Maddy Grimm.
McCutcheon and Grimm won the Excellence Award Tuesday at the 57th annual Driscoll Awards banquet at Ferrante's Lakeview Lounge near Greensburg.
The winners, along with nominees from the 18 high schools in the county, displayed excellence in the classroom and on the field.
The other finalists were: Franklin Regional's Dane Brown and Kaitlyn Ruffing, Greensburg Central Catholic's Shannon Hurley and Zach Guiser, Norwin's Matt Stewart, Burrell's Cole Bush, Ligonier Valley's Josh Patrick, Greensburg Salem's Jayne Oberdorf, Hempfield's Janista Frank and Latrobe's Hanna Green.
McCutcheon and Grimm said they were surprised they were selected because there were so many excellent candidates.
“This will rank as one of my top accomplishments because the award is not just based on your athletic accomplishments, but also the classroom,” said McCutcheon, who will wrestle at Penn State.
Grimm, who played football, soccer, basketball and softball, said she followed a simple formula during her high school career.
“School was first, then sports and lastly was my social life,” said Grimm, who will play softball at Kent State.
Former Jeannette athletic director, football coach and teacher Bob Murphy was awarded the Mike and John Ferrante Memorial Award for his contribution to promote high school athletics.
NFL official Dale Hamer, who grew up in Fairhope, Fayette County and officiated in three Super Bowls, was the guest speaker.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Big plays cost Steelers defense in preseason loss at Bills
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin mum on Bryant suspension
- Rossi: Beleaguered Steelers need MVP from Big Ben
- Pirates, Cubs to make up postponed game Sept. 15
- Pitt star running back Conner remains grounded despite success
- QB Vick hits ground running in debut
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Patience serves as virtue amid prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors
- Architecture: Pittsburgh history in 10 houses
- Man charged in East Liberty robbery
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off