Kiski Area's McCutcheon, Ligonier Valley's Grimm win Driscoll Awards
TribLIVE Sports Videos
When Kiski Area athletic director Ryan Berberich read Matt McCutcheon's achievements to the Judge John J. Driscoll Westmoreland County Scholar-Athlete selection committee this month, the first thing he mentioned were McCutcheon's off-the-field traits.
Ligonier Valley athletic director Brett Miller echoed the same sentiments about Maddy Grimm.
McCutcheon and Grimm won the Excellence Award Tuesday at the 57th annual Driscoll Awards banquet at Ferrante's Lakeview Lounge near Greensburg.
The winners, along with nominees from the 18 high schools in the county, displayed excellence in the classroom and on the field.
The other finalists were: Franklin Regional's Dane Brown and Kaitlyn Ruffing, Greensburg Central Catholic's Shannon Hurley and Zach Guiser, Norwin's Matt Stewart, Burrell's Cole Bush, Ligonier Valley's Josh Patrick, Greensburg Salem's Jayne Oberdorf, Hempfield's Janista Frank and Latrobe's Hanna Green.
McCutcheon and Grimm said they were surprised they were selected because there were so many excellent candidates.
“This will rank as one of my top accomplishments because the award is not just based on your athletic accomplishments, but also the classroom,” said McCutcheon, who will wrestle at Penn State.
Grimm, who played football, soccer, basketball and softball, said she followed a simple formula during her high school career.
“School was first, then sports and lastly was my social life,” said Grimm, who will play softball at Kent State.
Former Jeannette athletic director, football coach and teacher Bob Murphy was awarded the Mike and John Ferrante Memorial Award for his contribution to promote high school athletics.
NFL official Dale Hamer, who grew up in Fairhope, Fayette County and officiated in three Super Bowls, was the guest speaker.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Sheary hoping to return to organization
- In historic vote, Pa. Senate approves bill selling state liquor stores
- Brooklyn man’s cross-state taxi ride leads straight to jail in Uniontown
- Pirates notebook: Cervelli gets 1st career DH start
- Vandergrift man accused of sexual assault
- Pa. Senate passes $30.1B GOP budget; Wolf veto likely
- Ferris wheel goes up to help get Regatta rolling
- Presque Isle Downs cancels thoroughbred races because of running deer
- Pirates hope 1st baseman Alvarez starts to regain power stroke
- Downie, Ehrhoff lead list of likely Penguins leaving in free agency
- Route 22 in Delmont open after tractor-trailer crash at cloverleaf