Alle-Kiski roundup: Springdale baseball team rallies for late victory
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Springdale spent the home half of the seventh inning running around the bases Wednesday afternoon. Then, the Dynamos walked off with the victory.
A fierce, last-inning rally propelled Springdale to a 4-3 nonsection victory over Cornell.
Down, 3-0, heading to the bottom of the seventh, the host Dynamos (6-7) scored four runs to topple Cornell (3-14). After a run scored on an error, Austin Tocco had an RBI double, and Austin Kline singled home a run before Adam Lock's single scored Brandon Stiehler for the win. Winning pitcher Alex Demonte struck out 10 for the Dynamos, who have qualified for the WPIAL Class A playoffs.
Burrell 5, Valley 1 — Alex Krnarcik's complete-game effort helped Burrell (8-8) defeat Valley (3-12) in nonsection play. For the Bucs, Zack Abel and Cory Arabia doubled.
Ford City 7, Kittanning 1 — Justin Retzer struck out 10 in a complete-game win for Ford City (8-7) in a nonsection game against rival Kittanning (3-13). Mike Fennell and Caleb Zablocki each drove in two runs for the Sabers.
Knoch 7, Kiski Area 5 — Knoch (9-9) rallied from a 5-1 deficit to beat the Cavaliers (4-13) in non-section play. Justin Stascak doubled and had two RBI for Kiski Area.
Riverview 13, Eden Christian 0 (5 inn.) — Kevin Gray doubled, tripled, scored three times and drove in three runs to lead Class A No. 2 Riverview (14-2) to the nonsection home win.
St. Joseph 9, Jeannette 5 — Brendan O'Hara went 3 for 3 with two RBI to pace St. Joseph (3-13) in a nonsection win over Jeannette (8-8). Joey Luciana added a double for the Spartans.
Freeport 10, Riverview 0 (5 inn.) — Ashley Sample had three hits and two RBI, and pitcher Alyssa Meta tossed a two-hit shutout with seven strikeouts as Class AA Freeport (11-6) downed Class A Riverview (11-7) in a nonsection game between local playoff teams.
Valley 8, Highlands 7 — An eight-run outburst in the top of the second, led by two-run homers by Hannah Kantorski and Blaise Dawson, were enough for Valley (5-11) to secure a nonsection victory over Highlands (8-6). Cassidy Runyan hit a three-run homer in the bottom of the fourth for Highlands.
Burrell 9, Indiana 4 — Claire Fisher struck out eight as Class AA No. 5 Burrell (14-4) defeated Class AAA Indiana (8-10) in a nonsection game. Abby Nitowski had three hits, including an RBI double, and Krista York hit a two-run double for Burrell.
Track and field
WPIAL qualifiers — Complete local results of Tuesday's WPIAL track and field individual qualifiers can be found at sports.triblive.com
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- House explodes in North Braddock
- Federal, Indiana authorities raid home of Subway spokesman
- Starkey: Burnett writing incredible final chapter
- Crazy Mocha owner likes comfort, says shrewd decisions foster growth
- 6 PSU, Pitt, WVU players on watch lists for Maxwell, Bednarik awards
- Penn Hills gravestone business owner who swindled mourning families sentenced to jail
- New Kensington residents furious over road conditions
- Pirates notebook: Four players selected for All-Star Game
- Alvarez’s walk-off single lifts Pirates over Padres
- Pair charged with prostitution-related offenses in South Greensburg
- Torn thumb ligament puts Pirates’ Harrison on 15-day disabled list