District 6 approves Leechburg's move; PIAA must approve next
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Only one step remains in the process of joining PIAA District 6 for Leechburg Area School District, which received membership approval from District 6's board of directors Monday afternoon.
Board chairman Dean Rossi said the directors, who met at Hollidaysburg High School, voted 11-1 to approve Leechburg, which plans to move its seven sports from the WPIAL to District 6 for the 2014-15 school year. The PIAA board of directors, which will meet May 22-23 in Mechanicsburg, must vote on Leechburg's move. Approval will complete the transition.
Rossi said the directors dedicated just five to seven minutes discussing the action.
“It was a very easy vote,” he said. “The discussion was about how it will affect football in Class A, where most of the schools have 10 games. ... When (Purchase Line principal and District 6 board member) Jim Price spoke up and said it would benefit the Heritage Conference, that was all we needed to hear.”
Leechburg will enter the Heritage Conference, which currently has nine schools.
There are 48 schools in District 6, which includes Blair, Cambria, Centre, Clinton, Clearfield, Huntingdon, Indiana and Mifflin counties.
— Bill West
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Reagan shooter Hinckley closer to permanent freedom
- Steelers won’t be backed into a corner at NFL Draft
- Cole overcomes rough start as Pirates sweep Brewers
- Pirates notebook: GM sticking to plan with Kang
- For Penguins penalty kill, enough is enough
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz gets lift with move back to Crosby’s line
- Minnesota tight end Williams hopes to join father as 1st-round pick
- Pitt football notebook: ‘No. 1 safety’ Mitchell asked to step up
- Quarterback Tebow expected to sign with Eagles
- Monessen man wounded in afternoon shooting
- Coming off hill revives Seton Hill University, downtown Greensburg