District 6 approves Leechburg's move; PIAA must approve next
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Only one step remains in the process of joining PIAA District 6 for Leechburg Area School District, which received membership approval from District 6's board of directors Monday afternoon.
Board chairman Dean Rossi said the directors, who met at Hollidaysburg High School, voted 11-1 to approve Leechburg, which plans to move its seven sports from the WPIAL to District 6 for the 2014-15 school year. The PIAA board of directors, which will meet May 22-23 in Mechanicsburg, must vote on Leechburg's move. Approval will complete the transition.
Rossi said the directors dedicated just five to seven minutes discussing the action.
“It was a very easy vote,” he said. “The discussion was about how it will affect football in Class A, where most of the schools have 10 games. ... When (Purchase Line principal and District 6 board member) Jim Price spoke up and said it would benefit the Heritage Conference, that was all we needed to hear.”
Leechburg will enter the Heritage Conference, which currently has nine schools.
There are 48 schools in District 6, which includes Blair, Cambria, Centre, Clinton, Clearfield, Huntingdon, Indiana and Mifflin counties.
— Bill West
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL notebook: Bucs DT McCoy signs 7-year, $98M deal
- Predators GM Poile: Penguins’ firing of Shero not fair
- WWII pilot takes off in B-29 yet again
- Mussolini’s air raid shelter opens
- Saturday - October 25, 2014
- Pirates acquire infielder from Indians, designate Axford, Gomez for assignment
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Plan calls for closing all Butler city elementary schools
- New software expected to help Butler County collect fees
- Fay-West food banks feeling hunger pains
- Armstrong in test program using slag on icy roads