Alle-Kiski high school notebook: Deer Lakes, Fox Chapel boys volleyball given No. 4 seeds
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Deer Lakes and Fox Chapel were awarded No. 4 seeds in the WPIAL boys volleyball playoffs and will play back-to-back in a first-round doubleheader Tuesday at Fox Chapel.
Deer Lakes is No. 4 in Class AA and will open against No. 13 Thomas Jefferson at 6 p.m.
Fox Chapel, No. 4 in Class AAA, faces No. 13 Baldwin at 7:30 p.m.
St. Joseph is No. 10 in Class AA and will play No. 7 Keystone Oaks at 6 p.m. Tuesday at Upper St. Clair.
Also in Class AAA, No. 6 Plum hosts Seneca Valley at 6 p.m. Tuesday.
Serra Catholic 3, Springdale 0 — Dan Popovich's two-run single in the top of the fourth inning was all the offense the Class A top-seeded Eagles (17-1) needed against No. 16 Springdale (6-8) in a first-round game at CCAC-Boyce.
Winning pitcher Wayne Hydak pitched a complete game and struck out 10.
Adam Lock doubled for Springdale.
Hempfield 2, Fox Chapel 0 — Zach Martinelli struck out 18 batters to lead No. 3 seed Hempfield to a Class AAAA first-round victory over No. 14 Fox Chapel at Gateway.
The Foxes had just one hit, which came on a bunt.
Baseball all-stars selected
The WPIAL Baseball Coaches Association announced teams for its all-star games set for June 9 at Burkett Complex in Robinson Township.
Local players selected are: Class AAAA — Zac Mannuppelli, Plum; Class AAA — Chase Voltz, Knoch; Class AA — Kevin Begley and Adam Fredley, Deer Lakes; Dustin Koedel and Robbie Miller, Freeport; and Justin Retzer, Ford City; Class A — John Arcuri, St. Joseph; and Anthony Malky, Riverview.
The Class A all-stars will play Class AA at 1 p.m. followed by Class AAA vs. Class AAAA around 4 p.m.
Players will be honored at an awards banquet at 7 p.m. June 10 at the Airport Marriott.
Plum shortstop commits
Plum junior shortstop Jordan Seneca gave a verbal commitment to St. Francis (Pa.).
She also had interest from Akron and Kent State.
Seneca is hitting .558 with 10 doubles, four triples, five home runs and 24 RBI this season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates, Worley edge Brewers, 1-0, move to cusp of playoffs
- Penguins notebook: Carcillo hopes to give team physical edge
- Fans sporting black and gold show up for Steelers game in Charlotte
- East Hills shooting victim found in Wilkinsburg
- Pirates notebook: Bucs set single-season attendance record
- Penn State notebook: Backup QB Crook acquits himself well in debut
- Inside the glass: Penguins’ Martin, Ehrhoff look comfortable together
- Officials say too many in the 18-64 age range skip flu vaccination
- Gas industry remedies ‘brain drain’ in Western Pennsylvania
- Falling branch injures woman, cuts power in Squirrel Hill
- NFL notebook: Ex-Titans kicker Bironas dies in car wreck