Alle-Kiski Valley Spotlight Athletes: Freeport's Alec Stivers, Apollo-Ridge's Reannah Martin
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Sport: Track and field
Report card: The senior took the gold medal at last week's WPIAL Class AA pole final at Baldwin High School, clearing 13 feet, 3 inches.
What was your initial reaction when you knew you had won?
I was surprised. I know there is a lot of good talent going through pole vault.
Is that your personal-best height?
In a meet it's my best height. I've done 13-6 or 14-0 in practice.
Are you surprised no one else cleared 13 feet?
I am. Shane Fisher from Riverside usually clears 13-6. It was just a bad day (for him) I guess.
Did last year's event play into your mind at all? (Stivers was eliminated after he failed in his first three attempts).
Yes. ... I started at 12-6 this year and missed my first two jumps. I didn't want to repeat last year.
How did you get into pole vault?
I started track in my freshman year. I started off as a runner, but didn't like it. Tyler Pajerski told me to come over and try it.
What goes through your mind when you're about to vault?
Make it over the bar. It's just that simple.
Sport: Track and field
Report card: Martin won the gold medal in the pole vault at the WPIAL Class AA track and field championships with a vault of 10 feet. The vault also broke the school record, which was 8-0. She will compete in the PIAA championships Friday and Saturday in Shippensburg.
How nervous were you before you went up for the final vault that won you the gold at WPIAL meet?
Not really that nervous because once I set my mind to it I knew I could do it.
Does the training become different for the state competition now?
I'm doing different things technique-wise. I'm working on my form because you have to have good form to be a good pole vaulter, and I'm working on mine so I can get a higher vault at states.
Have you ever seen someone break a pole, and does the thought of it potentially breaking ever run through your mind?
No, I have not seen one break, and its never came to my mind happening. I don't fear it because you have to have good trust in your pole, and I do.
How does it feel to have the school record?
Last year tying it I thought maybe I could get a little over it this year, and it's a good feeling to get over it that far. I never would've expected to get this high at the beginning of the season. I was hoping to make it to the WPIAL championship — let alone win it.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Panthers fall to Hawaii in game they were expected to win
- Connellsville-area kids encouraged to decorate city’s Christmas tree with handmade ornaments
- 7 arrested in Latrobe-area drug dealing
- Tire comes off, hits oncoming car, kills 1 on Route 28
- Police probe Kittanning Cemetery scam
- Connellsville posts $174K deficit
- Steelers’ Wheaton embraces expanding role
- Paper accepting gifts for Holiday Gift Club
- Kittanning Light Up Night a celebration of holiday spirit, bittersweet endings
- Pennsylvania legislative leader Costa blasts suggestion of session before Wolf sworn in as governor
- Crowds pack Downtown Pittsburgh to enjoy Light Up Night festivities