Burrell rugby falls in state semifinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
For the second year in a row, Burrell's bid for a state rugby championship ended in the semifinals.
The Buckheads allowed a season-high in points in a 43-19 loss to Unionville on Saturday afternoon at Cumberland County Park.
Senior Delaware recruit and prop Matt Hess, Burrell's all-time leader in points, had two tries and two conversions, while Nick Nitowski added one try for the Buckheads, who have reached at least the semifinals four straight years. They won the title in 2010.
Burrell finishes the season with an 8-1 record. Unionville (12-2), which is averaging 44.6 points, will play in Sunday's championship match.
—Bill Beckner Jr.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell to miss beginning of training camp
- Rossi: Roethlisberger staging big comeback
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season
- After year off, Steelers’ Pouncey ‘ready to go’
- Rockies’ 7-run 7th-inning dooms Pirates in 8-1 loss
- Megan’s Law offender in Greensburg arrested when girl, 13, found hiding in shower
- Tri-state Tea Party group aims to broaden its appeal to conservatives
- Pirates notebook: Cole to make rehab start at Indianapolis on Monday
- Report blames pilot for 2011 Hawaii crash that killed Pittsburgh couple
- Young Hotel residents moved to temporary shelter in Pitcairn
- Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board suspends in-store tastings