Burrell rugby falls in state semifinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
For the second year in a row, Burrell's bid for a state rugby championship ended in the semifinals.
The Buckheads allowed a season-high in points in a 43-19 loss to Unionville on Saturday afternoon at Cumberland County Park.
Senior Delaware recruit and prop Matt Hess, Burrell's all-time leader in points, had two tries and two conversions, while Nick Nitowski added one try for the Buckheads, who have reached at least the semifinals four straight years. They won the title in 2010.
Burrell finishes the season with an 8-1 record. Unionville (12-2), which is averaging 44.6 points, will play in Sunday's championship match.
—Bill Beckner Jr.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Foreign influx in Allegheny County at ‘tipping point’
- Cedar Point attraction mishap injures 2 riders
- Former Gateway coach Smith is ‘perfect fit’ for Penn State football staff
- Observers mixed on grid backup amid carbon rules, natural gas uncertainty
- Steelers hope group of low-budget cornerbacks can deliver
- Steelers notebook: Ben believes rookie WR Bryant can contribute
- Steelers WR Wheaton wants to produce after injury-plagued rookie year
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle, Huntington on same page
- Inside the ropes: Roethlisberger may have his big receiver
- Construction of $500M power plant in South Huntingdon stalled
- LaBar: Cesaro is WWE’s next Cinderella story