Burrell rugby falls in state semifinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
For the second year in a row, Burrell's bid for a state rugby championship ended in the semifinals.
The Buckheads allowed a season-high in points in a 43-19 loss to Unionville on Saturday afternoon at Cumberland County Park.
Senior Delaware recruit and prop Matt Hess, Burrell's all-time leader in points, had two tries and two conversions, while Nick Nitowski added one try for the Buckheads, who have reached at least the semifinals four straight years. They won the title in 2010.
Burrell finishes the season with an 8-1 record. Unionville (12-2), which is averaging 44.6 points, will play in Sunday's championship match.
—Bill Beckner Jr.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt makes key defensive plays to hold off Kent State, 85-76
- Central Catholic wins 5th WPIAL football title
- Penguins’ Johnston agrees with Dubinsky suspension
- Penn State’s men’s basketball team’s late rally foils Bucknell
- Steelers notebook: Brown downplays possible matchup against Seahawks’ Sherman
- Slippery Rock halts late rally, advances to D-II quarterfinals
- Pot doctors in medical marijuana states push boundaries with marketing
- Clairton captures 12th WPIAL football championship
- NHL notebook: Canadiens’ Price reportedly will be sidelined 1 month with knee injury
- Downtown holiday parade festive, but turnout low
- Steelers remain cautious of Seattle QB Wilson on ground, through air