Burrell rugby falls in state semifinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
For the second year in a row, Burrell's bid for a state rugby championship ended in the semifinals.
The Buckheads allowed a season-high in points in a 43-19 loss to Unionville on Saturday afternoon at Cumberland County Park.
Senior Delaware recruit and prop Matt Hess, Burrell's all-time leader in points, had two tries and two conversions, while Nick Nitowski added one try for the Buckheads, who have reached at least the semifinals four straight years. They won the title in 2010.
Burrell finishes the season with an 8-1 record. Unionville (12-2), which is averaging 44.6 points, will play in Sunday's championship match.
—Bill Beckner Jr.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ross brothers ordered to pay fine, remove debris from Christmas display
- Playoff experience pays off for Kittanning in preliminary round win over Elizabeth Forward
- Rossi: Fleury is, and will remain, Penguins’ soul
- SUV crashes into house in Sheraden
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- Calgon Carbon poised for explosive growth
- High school roundup: Derry volleyball downs Brownsville in prelminary round
- House 58th District seat candidates focus on education, taxes
- Unity rally aims to counter negativity of KKK message in ’97
- CMU spinoff’s CEO gets council honors
- Statements to stand in Connellsville High School athlete’s slaying