Northern region girls lacrosse teams advance in playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
When the end of the game came, the score was closer than Pine-Richland girls lacrosse coach Tori Trombetta would have liked, but her squad was on the right side of a 12-10 decision against Upper St. Clair.
The Pine-Richland offense forced the USC defense to work and mounted an effort that yielded an 8-3 score at the half.
A late rally made the game seem closer than it actually was, but the Lady Rams advanced to the WPIAL semifinals against defending champion Peters Township. That game was played Tuesday night with results unavailable as of press time.
“The girls kept their composure and maintained possession,” Trombetta said. “The toughest leads are when you are up four or five goals early. You get comfortable … we just stress each possession, which is the key to winning the game.”
Hannah Christenson scored four goals, Maddy Collins added two goals and two assists. Taylor Thene had a pair of goals and an assist, Tess Drotar had two goals, and Kim Lubic and Sara Caliguiri each had one.
In Division II action, the Shaler Lady Titans and Hampton Lady Talbots advanced to meet each other.
Hampton defeated Ellis School, 7-4, and Shaler throttled Bethel Park, 19-7. These teams met Tuesday, and results were unavailable as of press time.
The winner of that game will meet the winner of the Chartiers Valley-Blackhawk game at 6 p.m. on May 23 at North Hills for the WPIAL Division II championship.
Jerry Clark is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Coca-Cola shaves incentives for executives
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- Highmark to increase premiums, limit access to health care in new plans
- Port Vue upgrades office equipment
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘petty special’
- Consol Energy cutting retiree health benefits, phasing out pension
- Penguins’ Sutter is determined to keep scoring pressure on
- Oil, gas industry boom leads to expansion of laws in Pennsylvania