Plum senior Ruan receives East Boros scholarship
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Plum senior Berty Ruan is one of four area student-athletes to receive scholarship money this year from the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame, East Boros Chapter.
The scholarship recipients were honored at a dinner on May 20 that capped the annual East Boros Sports Hall of Fame's scholarship golf outing.
Each year, the hall of fame awards $3,000 worth of scholarships to high school seniors who have excelled academically, athletically and in service to their community.
Nominated candidates come from nine area high schools, including Wilkinsburg, Riverview, Woodland Hills, Penn Hills, Plum, Gateway, Penn-Trafford, Franklin Regional and East Allegheny.
Ruan closed out a successful high school swimming career this winter, and he will attend Penn State University and major in mechanical engineering.
Also honored were Penn-Trafford's Max Doran and Julie Hartz and Woodland Hills' Caroline Rubash.
Doran, who played golf and ran track at Penn-Trafford, will major in engineering at the University of Pittsburgh.
Hartz swam at Penn-Trafford and will major in chemical engineering at Pitt.
Rubash, a swimmer at Woodland Hills, will attend Westminster College and major in history.
Two of the scholarships were made possible through donations from Dave Bucar and the family of the late Mary V. Crawford.
This year was the East Boros Sports Hall of Fame's 10th annual golf outing that raises money for the scholarships.
To date, the organization has awarded $31,000 to students to help further their education.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Judge lifts order blocking racy state emails
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Westmoreland crash
- Alligator spotted along the banks of the Allegheny River in Cheswick
- Bethel Park settled police officer’s suit for $25,000
- Penguins’ new 3rd jersey similar to early 1990s version
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- Pittsburgh firefighter suffers minor electrical shock in Wilkinsburg fire
- Steelers’ Timmons looks to reverse defense’s struggles
- Steelers’ Polamalu relying on smarts as physical skills decline
- Google grants teachers’ school supply wishes
- Police investigate armed robberies in Lawrenceville