PIAA lacrosse roundup: Peters Township, North Allegheny fall in semifinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Reilly Masterson scored seven goals to lead Radnor to a 19-9 win over Peters Township in the PIAA girls lacrosse semifinals Tuesday at Cumberland Valley High School.
The Red Raiders opened a 9-0 lead at halftime, but Peters Township came back in the second half. Alli Hurley had four goals, and Gina Vilsack and American University recruit Sarah Bootman had two goals each for Peters Township, which closed the gap to 12-9 before Radnor scored seven unanswered to end the game. Duke recruit Caitlin Carey also scored for the Indians.
“I think our girls came out a little bit scared, and I don't think they truly believed they could be in the game,” Peters Township coach Kristin Slemmer said. “I think in the second half we turned it around.”
“Even down, 9-0, it's easy for a lot of teams to hang their heads. We got back into the game, so I really am proud of them for fighting and not giving up.”
Radnor will play Harriton in the championship at noon Saturday at Hersheypark Stadium.
La Salle 14, North Allegheny 1 — Matt Rambo scored five goals and Sean Coleman had two goals and five assists to lead La Salle in the PIAA boys lacrosse semifinals at Cumberland Valley High School. Grant Page scored just before halftime to get the Tigers on the board, but they were not able to rally down, 9-1.
“They were just too good… they are just on a different level than teams in Western Pa.,” NA coach John Rullan said. “We have no regrets. It was a challenge that we wanted to see where we were at, but those kids were just too good and we couldn't get any goals by them.”
La Salle will play Conestoga in the championship game at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Hersheypark Stadium.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins see Stars, blanked by Dallas in opening game
- Steelers quarterback Vick getting more acquainted with offense
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- A field day on social media as Pirates’ Rodriguez attacks Gatorade cooler
- Steelers hoping to establish run early against San Diego
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- Kennametal HQ relocation rankles Westmoreland County business leadership
- Officials: 1 dead, 3 wounded in Northern Arizona University shooting
- Upper St. Clair lifeguard ordered to stand trial for rape of female lifeguard
- Pennsylvania hardliners mum on GOP House leadership
- Clerical error blamed as Armstrong inmate is released