Shady Side Academy girls have lacrosse success
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Despite its season-ending loss in the first round of the PIAA playoffs two weeks ago, Shady Side Academy girls lacrosse coach Emily Schaknowski was very pleased with the team's overall performance.
“We had a very successful and exciting season this year,” she said. “I had a great group of intelligent, hard-working and unselfish players.
“This year, we achieved one step more toward the WPIAL championship.
“We made it to the championship game and lost to a very talented Peters Township team.”
Schaknowski said the team's success is especially satisfying considering that Shady Side Academy's attendance numbers are much smaller than that of many of the schools the team competes against.
“We are competing against schools that are sometimes as much as five times larger than SSA,” she said.
The highlights of the season, Schaknowski said, were an overtime win against Mt. Lebanon and a victory over Peters Township in the second half of the season.
Schaknowski knows that she will have to replace some key players for next year.
“I had four extremely talented senior that are graduating this year,” she said. “Felicia Tissenbaum, K.K. Jaffe, Mickey Saperstein and Lia Winter have all been great leaders and teammates during the two years that I have been the coach.
“Our roster is wide open for next year and every girl playing lacrosse here will be a key player for our program.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- Dunbar Twp. man held for trial in DUI fatality
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- New Kensington-Arnold principals given new duties to reflect realignment
- A fair, and fitting, tribute
- Apollo Borough embarks on rental reform with notices to landlords
- Connellsville man held for court in robbery of pizza delivery man
- North Huntingdon woman charged with threatening to burn down officer’s house
- Kittanning firefighters set to muster up a good time in 125th year
- South Buffalo Township woman accused of stealing nearly $13K from employer
- Family to rebuild Manor home destroyed by fire