Quaker Valley honored for athletic excellence throughout school year
For the second straight year, Quaker Valley has been awarded the MSA Sports Cup title by MSA Sports Network.
“The MSA Sports Cup offers a quantitative assessment of athletic programs throughout the entire WPIAL,” Superintendent Dr. Joseph H. Clapper said. “The MSA Sports Cup affirms that our athletic department, our coaches, and, most importantly, our student-athletes are performing at an exceptionally high level.”
Point totals for schools in the WPIAL AA classification ranged from 0 to Quaker Valley's 525. The next highest score was 330, earned by Shady Side Academy.
Teams earn points based on success of each team that competes in the WPIAL.
“Winning the MSA Sports Cup is a huge accomplishment as it measures the success of the entire athletic program,” athletic director Mike Mastroianni said. “Our girls and boys athletic teams have brought great pride to our school and to our greater community.”
Some of the highlights from the past year include:
• Boys cross country: WPIAL champion, PIAA qualifier
• Boys golf: WPIAL playoff qualifier
• Boys soccer: Section co-champion, WPIAL champion, PIAA qualifier
• Girls cross country: Section champion, WPIAL champion, PIAA qualifier
• Girls soccer: WPIAL playoff qualifier
• Girls tennis: Section co-champion, WPIAL champion, PIAA qualifier
• Girls volleyball: WPIAL playoff qualifier
• Boys basketball: WPIAL playoff qualifier, PIAA qualifier
• Hockey: PIHL champion, state runner-up
• Girls basketball: WPIAL playoff qualifier
• Baseball: Section champion, WPIAL runner-up, PIAA qualifier
• Boys tennis: WPIAL playoff qualifier
• Girls track and field: WPIAL playoff qualifier, PIAA qualifier
MSA Sports Cup winners in the other classifications were North Allegheny (AAAA), Mars (AAA) and Greensburg Central Catholic (A). Sewickley Academy finished third in Class A. For more information regarding the MSA Sports Cup, visit www.msasports.net.