Alle-Kiski notebook: Cosentino picked for all-star game
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Central Catholic quarterback and Vandergrift resident J.J. Cosentino has his college decision out of the way. Now he'll have a big stage on which to showcase his Division I talents — after his senior season, of course.
Cosentino, who committed to Florida State in March, has been selected to play in the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl all-star game Jan. 5 in Carson, Calif.
“I am pretty excited and honored to play in one of the big three All-American games,” Cosentino said. “I can't wait to go out to California and learn from Mike Johnson, the man who invited me and who coaches quarterbacks.
“It should be a fun experience.”
The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Cosentino, who became a starter in Week 3 last season after transferring from Kiski Area, threw for 550 yards and three touchdowns as a junior.
He missed most of his sophomore season with a torn ACL.
Cosentino also could get a nod for the Big 33 Classic.
Clawson takes 4th
Freeport golfer Audrey Clawson is gearing up for her sophomore season. She finished fourth at the Pennsylvania Golf Association's 50th Girls Junior Championship at Hershey Country Club.
Clawson finished at 10-over-par 158 for the 36-hole tournament, carding rounds of 77 and 81.
Clawson, who plays out of Kittanning Country Club, took fourth in the WPIAL Class AA championship as a freshman.
Brynn Walker, who plays out of St. David's Golf Club, won the event at 2-under 145.
Fields in nationals
Valley's Terrell Fields qualified for the USA Wrestling National Championships set for July 12 in Fargo, N.D.
The rising senior will make his third straight trip to the tournament.
He placed sixth to garner All-American recognition at 182 pounds in the Greco-Roman Cadet Division.
Fields has started since his freshman season and has 98 wins for Valley. He was a WPIAL runner-up last season and took sixth in the state.
Hunter Fenk, who will be a senior at Plum, also will compete at the national tournament. The 160-pounder was 15-14 last season.
Bill Beckner Jr. is the local sports editor of the Valley News Dispatch. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Northern Cambria man accused of attempted rape
- Stakes high as ex-Saints receiver Moore faces his former team
- Witnesses help identify 2nd teen charged in killing Andre Roberts
- Photo of suspect in Greendale Tavern burglary/fire released
- Icy roads cause accidents, slow traffic across Western Pa.
- October mine inspections result in 127 citations
- Steelers notebook: Injury to RT Gilbert opens door for Adams to start
- Sewickley center offers new child care options
- Pitt receiver Boyd continues to grow on and off the field
- Earlier openings make Black Friday shopping easier for bargain-hunters
- Fayette County history could fetch big bucks at Ohio auction