Alle-Kiski roundup: Knoch girls soccer team opens section with win
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Three different players scored goals to help the Knoch girls soccer team open Section 2-AA play on a positive note.
Gabi Lassinger, Olivia Sharbaugh and Saige Robertson all scored for the Knights, and Maddi Abritas added an assist as Knoch downed Burrell, 3-1, on Wednesday night in Jefferson.
Lexi Galbreath helped to limit the offense for Burrell (1-1, 0-1), making six saves for Knoch (1-1, 0-1).
Michela Beattie scored for Burrell, and Bailey Klems stopped 13 shots on goal for the Bucs.
Highlands 4, Valley 0 — Highlands (2-1, 1-0) got a jump on Section 2-AA play with a victory at Valley (1-1, 0-1).
Deer Lakes 2, Indiana 0 — Emily Irvine and Alexa Burke scored goals to lead Deer Lakes (1-0,1-0) to a season- and Section 2-A-opening victory over Indiana (0-1, 1-2).
Plum 3, Oakland Catholic 0 — Ashley Amato netted two goals to lead Plum (3-0, 1-0) to victory over Oakland Catholic (0-1, 0-1) in the teams' Section 3-AAA opener. Miranda Martin also scored for the Mustangs, and Maggie Krueger added an assist. Chelsey Hubner and Maddy Strohl combined to stop six shots.
Springdale 8, Jeannette 1 — Springdale (2-1, 1-0) cruised to a Section 4-A victory over Jeannette (0-1, 0-1) as Emma Whelan and Casey Hughes each scored twice and added an assist. Amanda Kuba assisted on two goals and scored one, and Jillian Henley picked up an assist and goal for the Dynamos.
Highlands 4, St. Joseph 1 — Victor Nelson netted a hat trick for Highlands (1-1) in a nonsection victory over St. Joseph (1-1-1). J.J. Clark also scored, Caleb Johnson had an assist, and Bob Reesman stopped 10 shots in goal for the Golden Rams.
Vincenzo DiCola scored for St. Joseph.
Knoch takes meet — Knoch's boys team won the season-opening Quad County Warm Up by taking seven of the top 10 spots. Preston Carlsson won with a time of 16:39, and teammate Brandon Grumski was second at 16:43.
Valley 5-5, Indiana 0-0 — Valley swept a doubleheader against the Indians as Emily Armstrong, Catherine Armstrong and Hannah Albright cruised to back-to-back wins in the Setion 4-AA matches.
Fox Chapel 189, Kiski Area 210 — Patrick Sheerer shot an even-par 36, Matt Friday added 37, Jordan Alfery 38 and Charlie Friend and Anthony Cordaro matched 39s as Fox Chapel (8-0, 6-0) remained undefeated with a Section 4-AAA win at Vandergrift Golf Club.
Tyler Paunovich shot 36 for Kiski Area (5-3, 4-2).
Freeport 199, Leechburg 266 — Cole Hepler, Audrey Clawson and Mickey Frazetta all shot 2-over-par 38 to lead the Yellowjackets (6-1, 3-1) to a Section 1-AA win on the back nine at Buffalo Golf Course. Matt Barto led Leechburg (2-2) with a 1-over 37.
Deer Lakes 218, Riverview 237 — Jake Roberts' 2-over 38 paced Deer Lakes (4-2) to a Section 3-AA victory over Riverview (3-3) at Pheasant Ridge Golf Course. Matt Hammel shot 42, and Dom Conte and Owen Zottola chipped in 44s for Riverview.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- PennDOT to replace drivers licenses issued since November without proper security features
- Rossi: Winnik nice, but not enough for Penguins
- Crews clean up ore spilled from train derailment in Butler County
- Woman charged for holding teen drinking party after video found at Penn-Trafford
- Bettman `intrigued’ by possible outdoor game at Beaver Stadium
- Steelers restructure Gilbert, Mitchell contracts; Pouncey close
- Penguins finally find way to beat Capitals
- Pennsylvania House passes liquor system privatization bill
- Federal grand jury indicts chief operations manager for Pittsburgh office of Horizons Hospice
- School aide accused of throwing shoe at Penn-Trafford special-needs student, causing brush burn
- Penguins add scoring depth by dealing for Maple Leafs’ Winnik