HS notes: Section singles set for Wednesday
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Section singles set for Wednesday
Tournament season gets under way for WPIAL girls tennis players Wednesday with the first day of section singles. All 11 sections will host tournaments, which will wrap up with the finals and consolation finals Thursday.
The top three finishers from each tournament advance to the WPIAL championships, set for Sept. 18-19 at Keystone Oaks (Class AA) and Norwin (Class AAA) on Day 1 and North Allegheny for both finals.
Mt. Lebanon senior Callie Frey is the returning WPIAL singles champion in Class AAA and will be looking to retain her Section 4 crown, as well.
• Central Valley senior golfer Macky Fouse, a Seton Hall recruit, set the school record last week for nine holes when she fired a 3-under-par 33 at Shadow Lakes Golf Course in Beaver County. Fouse was a WPIAL runner-up and PIAA third-place finisher last season.
• The Westmoreland County Coaches Association golf tournament will be held Friday at Latrobe Elks, and Latrobe will try to retain its team title. The Wildcats won last year after graduate Will Wears, grandson of Arnold Palmer, shot a 5-over 77. Penn-Trafford (2010) and Norwin ('11) are recent champions.
• Thomas Jefferson's Adam Patrick shot 78 and edged Elizabeth Forward's Patrick McCall and teammate Brendan Kelly on the first playoff hole to win the Big South Conference tournament Wednesday at Cedarbrook Golf Course. Thomas Jefferson also won the team title.
• Kiski Area suspended its girls golf team for the season due to lack of participation.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Consumer, core prices inch up
- Steelers’ defense on pace for fewest sacks in 16-game season
- Flyers continue mastery of Penguins at Consol
- Penn State defense returns to familiar spot atop Big Ten Conference
- Florida fugitive nabbed in Pittsburgh-area homeless shelter
- Pitt offense eyes healthy balance
- Canadians more fearful, aware after ‘very rare’ attack
- VA promotion for administrator stuns legislator
- Highmark seeks double-digit increase for more benefits, heavy use
- Contempt citation sought by state against Highmark for alleged violation of deal with UPMC
- PS New Kensington men’s soccer earns playoff win