HS notes: Section singles set for Wednesday
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Section singles set for Wednesday
Tournament season gets under way for WPIAL girls tennis players Wednesday with the first day of section singles. All 11 sections will host tournaments, which will wrap up with the finals and consolation finals Thursday.
The top three finishers from each tournament advance to the WPIAL championships, set for Sept. 18-19 at Keystone Oaks (Class AA) and Norwin (Class AAA) on Day 1 and North Allegheny for both finals.
Mt. Lebanon senior Callie Frey is the returning WPIAL singles champion in Class AAA and will be looking to retain her Section 4 crown, as well.
• Central Valley senior golfer Macky Fouse, a Seton Hall recruit, set the school record last week for nine holes when she fired a 3-under-par 33 at Shadow Lakes Golf Course in Beaver County. Fouse was a WPIAL runner-up and PIAA third-place finisher last season.
• The Westmoreland County Coaches Association golf tournament will be held Friday at Latrobe Elks, and Latrobe will try to retain its team title. The Wildcats won last year after graduate Will Wears, grandson of Arnold Palmer, shot a 5-over 77. Penn-Trafford (2010) and Norwin ('11) are recent champions.
• Thomas Jefferson's Adam Patrick shot 78 and edged Elizabeth Forward's Patrick McCall and teammate Brendan Kelly on the first playoff hole to win the Big South Conference tournament Wednesday at Cedarbrook Golf Course. Thomas Jefferson also won the team title.
• Kiski Area suspended its girls golf team for the season due to lack of participation.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- LaBar: John Cena leaving WWE for Hollywood?
- More than 800 marijuana plants seized in Washington County
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- National city organization chooses Pittsburgh for 2016 gathering
- Injured eagle in Somerset County returns to the wild
- Suspended Penn-Trafford teacher charged with stalking student
- Penn State to announce new athletic director
- North Huntingdon woman charged with threatening to burn down officer’s house
- Kerry says no deal yet for 7-day truce in Gaza