HS notes: Monessen boys off to 4-0 start
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Monessen boys off to 4-0 start
A healthy lineup and the emergence of scorer Luke Doptis have carried the Monessen boys soccer team to a 4-0 start.
Doptis has 10 goals, including hat tricks the past two games.
“I'm very pleased with the way the kids have been playing,” Greyhounds coach Sam Perry said. “I did not expect the start that we've had.”
Junior left wing Josh Kucneroski, a three-year starter has three goals, including one on a corner kick Saturday against Brownsville.
Three costly injuries — one to senior defender Christian Sciacca — forced Monessen into a 4-11 record last season.
Blair Madison has three goals and first-year goalie Blake Carmello has pitched two shutouts for the Greyhounds, who play at Chartiers-Houston Tuesday.
• Before a 6-0 loss to South Park last week, Baldwin was on quite a run to open the season. The Fighting Highlanders edged Seneca Valley, 1-0, and played to a 0-0 tie with Chartiers Valley in the two-day Intersection Kickoff event. They then ran past McKeesport, 6-1, in a Section 4-AAA game, as junior Austin Vertullo registered four goals. Baldwin (3-1-1, 2-0) then topped Albert Gallatin, 7-0.
• Perennial powerhouse Hampton was in unfamiliar position last year — at home during the playoffs. Coach Chuck Kelley and his players are out to make sure that doesn't happen again. “We have quite a few players back and that missing the playoffs was a wake-up call,” he said. “We have depth at different positions, we have some new faces at different positions and we will have to work hard for 80 minutes.”
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ defense unfazed by noise, believes in potential
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh asking Supreme Court to hear case
- Penguins notebook: After reinterpreting rule, draft pick sought for Bylsma’s hiring
- Pirates pound Padres for 7th consecutive victory
- Overhaul possible for West Mifflin’s Century III Mall
- Phone threats put scare into international flights
- Man dies in North Buffalo fire
- Kiski River search finds kayak but no kayaker
- Juvenile status hearing, trial delayed in Franklin Regional stabbings
- Former Ford City superintendent charged with killing family member in Texas
- Ice Miners not returning to Connellsville