HS notes: Monessen boys off to 4-0 start
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Monessen boys off to 4-0 start
A healthy lineup and the emergence of scorer Luke Doptis have carried the Monessen boys soccer team to a 4-0 start.
Doptis has 10 goals, including hat tricks the past two games.
“I'm very pleased with the way the kids have been playing,” Greyhounds coach Sam Perry said. “I did not expect the start that we've had.”
Junior left wing Josh Kucneroski, a three-year starter has three goals, including one on a corner kick Saturday against Brownsville.
Three costly injuries — one to senior defender Christian Sciacca — forced Monessen into a 4-11 record last season.
Blair Madison has three goals and first-year goalie Blake Carmello has pitched two shutouts for the Greyhounds, who play at Chartiers-Houston Tuesday.
• Before a 6-0 loss to South Park last week, Baldwin was on quite a run to open the season. The Fighting Highlanders edged Seneca Valley, 1-0, and played to a 0-0 tie with Chartiers Valley in the two-day Intersection Kickoff event. They then ran past McKeesport, 6-1, in a Section 4-AAA game, as junior Austin Vertullo registered four goals. Baldwin (3-1-1, 2-0) then topped Albert Gallatin, 7-0.
• Perennial powerhouse Hampton was in unfamiliar position last year — at home during the playoffs. Coach Chuck Kelley and his players are out to make sure that doesn't happen again. “We have quite a few players back and that missing the playoffs was a wake-up call,” he said. “We have depth at different positions, we have some new faces at different positions and we will have to work hard for 80 minutes.”
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins trade Sutter to Canucks, sign free agent center Fehr
- 5 face trial in beating of black man in Pittsburgh
- Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell gets suspension, fine reduced
- Woman charged with assulting cops in wild Strip District dispute
- Gameday: Pirates at Twins, July 29, 2015
- Steelers RB Archer trying to catch up after tough rookie season
- Latrobe police to host National Night Out
- Inside the Steelers: Ventrone suffers right ankle injury
- Videos spur dozens to protest outside Pittsburgh Planned Parenthood
- Pitt’s Blair faces court date on DUI charge
- Pittsburgh man jailed on theft, assault and drug charges