HS notes: Peters Township loss a rare occurrence
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Peters Twp. loss a rare occurrence
The three-time reigning PIAA champion Peters Township girls soccer team was in unfamiliar position Saturday: the losing side of the scoreboard.
The Indians dropped a 3-2 nonsection decision to No. 2 Bethel Park, the team's first loss to a WPIAL opponent since Nov. 5, 2011, when it fell to Upper St. Clair in the WPIAL Class AAA championship game.
Peters Township (4-1-0, 1-0-0), the preseason No. 1 team, is playing without Pennsylvania's two-time player of the year Veronica Latsko, a Virginia recruit who was injured in the offseason and is likely out for the year. The Indians had won 18 straight games dating back to a 3-2 loss to Cumberland Valley last September.
Saturday, Tatiana Ruzzini scored twice and Halle Hammer once to lead Bethel Park (3-0) to victory. Maddie Schwerzler and Emily Franty scored for Peters Township.
• The Plum girls are off to a 6-0 start but it could be ... even better? Coach Mike Proviano said his team is down three starters, including junior standout midfielder Christine Tamburri, who tore her ACL during Cup play in February. Aaliyah Odom and Ashley Amato have combined to become one of the top scoring tandems in Class AAAA this season. Odom scored a hat trick Monday in a 5-0 win over Allderdice and has nine goals this season. Amato tallied two goals Monday and has eight. “You have to wonder how much better we'd be with those girls,” Proviano said. “It's kind of scary.”
• Lightning wreaked havoc on the WPIAL girls soccer schedule Monday, with at least 10 games postponed.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Spaeth on baby watch
- Elsie Hillman, philanthropist and one-time GOP powerhouse, dies at 89
- Steelers defensive end Tuitt shifts into high gear
- Groups appeal Shell air permit for Beaver County project
- Pittsburgh officials unveil major changes to police response to violent crime
- Delphi buys CMU spinoff that makes self-driving car software
- Russia stakes claim to energy-rich Arctic
- Baldwin Borough man pleads guilty in white supremacist bombs case
- Uniontown man sentenced to 30 months for threatening Obama and his family
- Man accused in crash that killed Export driver rejects plea offer
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return