HS notes: Peters Township loss a rare occurrence
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Peters Twp. loss a rare occurrence
The three-time reigning PIAA champion Peters Township girls soccer team was in unfamiliar position Saturday: the losing side of the scoreboard.
The Indians dropped a 3-2 nonsection decision to No. 2 Bethel Park, the team's first loss to a WPIAL opponent since Nov. 5, 2011, when it fell to Upper St. Clair in the WPIAL Class AAA championship game.
Peters Township (4-1-0, 1-0-0), the preseason No. 1 team, is playing without Pennsylvania's two-time player of the year Veronica Latsko, a Virginia recruit who was injured in the offseason and is likely out for the year. The Indians had won 18 straight games dating back to a 3-2 loss to Cumberland Valley last September.
Saturday, Tatiana Ruzzini scored twice and Halle Hammer once to lead Bethel Park (3-0) to victory. Maddie Schwerzler and Emily Franty scored for Peters Township.
• The Plum girls are off to a 6-0 start but it could be ... even better? Coach Mike Proviano said his team is down three starters, including junior standout midfielder Christine Tamburri, who tore her ACL during Cup play in February. Aaliyah Odom and Ashley Amato have combined to become one of the top scoring tandems in Class AAAA this season. Odom scored a hat trick Monday in a 5-0 win over Allderdice and has nine goals this season. Amato tallied two goals Monday and has eight. “You have to wonder how much better we'd be with those girls,” Proviano said. “It's kind of scary.”
• Lightning wreaked havoc on the WPIAL girls soccer schedule Monday, with at least 10 games postponed.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rockies’ 7-run 7th-inning dooms Pirates in 8-1 loss
- Roundup: Citizens bank parent says 6-month profit doubles; Former Heinz CEO leaving EDMC board; more
- Rossi: Roethlisberger staging big comeback
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell to miss beginning of training camp
- Car dealers find silver lining in cloud of vehicle recalls
- Belle Vernon man faces drug charges
- Plug-in Accord makes gas station visits rare
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season
- Export-Import Bank in dispute in Congress
- Urban new leader at Jefferson
- Retailer rolls dice on TargetExpress