Leader Times roundup: Apollo-Ridge volleyball team still perfect
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Apollo-Ridge volleyball's perfect start to the season continues.
The Vikings won their third straight match to begin the year with a 3-1 nonsection win Monday at home over Valley.
The third set was the only misstep for Apollo-Ridge, which won by scores of 25-19, 25-23, 23-25 and 25-16. Kayla Gunnerson led the Vikings with eight kills and four blocks, and Vanessa Stegner served five aces.
Freeport 198, Winchester Thurston 205 — The Yellowjackets kept up their early-season momentum with a nonsection win at Buffalo Golf Course.
Audrey Clawson led Freeport (8-1) with a 37, and Cole Hepler, Matt Swartz and Mickey Frazetta all shot 40s. Will Robinson led the Bears with a 37.
West Shamokin 240, Leechburg 260 — Cory Egley's 43 led the Wolves to their second straight Section 1-AA win at Deertrak Golf Club.
Austin Porter shot a 47 and Landon Schamberg shot a 48 for West Shamokin (2-5, 2-4). Leechburg's Matt Barto led all players with a round of 37.
Derry 202, Kittanning 242 — Sydney Syster shot a 41 to lead Derry to a Section 1-AA win at Kittanning Country Club. Morgan Joseph led Kittanning (1-7, 1-8) with a 54.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers to bring LB Harrison out of retirement
- Steelers defense must replace 3 injured starters after victory
- Pirates notebook: Volquez open to re-signing with team
- Liriano, McCutchen help Pirates to 1-0 win over Braves
- More than 700 babies exposed to tuberculosis in Texas
- Taxes at forefront of 1st Pa. governor debate between Corbett, Wolf
- Steelers film session: Old-fashioned power football produces victory
- Penguins boast several good blueliners with point-producing skills
- Red Wings beat Penguins, 2-1, in preseason opener
- Identities of theft suspects sought by Penn Township and state police
- Charges dropped against homeless man found in presidential suite of Downtown hotel