Alle-Kiski soccer notebook: Plum girls soccer in midst of an upswing
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Plum in midst of an upswing
Though it's less than two weeks into its schedule, Plum's girls soccer team already is more than halfway to one of its best seasons in at least a decade.
The Mustangs, who retained seven starters from a 2012 team that ended a nine-year playoff drought, are 6-0 overall and have outscored opponents, 24-3.
“I think a lot of people have underestimated us,” coach Mike Proviano said. “But I think the schools are starting to open their eyes.”
Barring an epic downturn in performance, Plum will attain a double-digit win total for the first time since 2007 and just the second time since 2003. When the Mustangs made the playoffs in 2002, they finished 13-2-4.
• For the majority of her soccer career, Fox Chapel senior Lauren Kelly has focused almost strictly on bolstering the defense from her central midfield position. That changed this season, as the Foxes (3-1, 1-0) asked Kelly, a Winthrop recruit at central defense, to increase her offensive involvement while the team has adjusted to the graduation of long-time scoring threatJessie Thiessen. She has four goals — one in each game — and two assists. “It's definitely a different mindset,” said Kelly, who had nine goals and 11 assists as a junior. “I'm working on it. You kind of have to switch gears a little bit.”
• Erik Ingram, in his eighth season as Fox Chapel's boys soccer coach, celebrated his 100th win at the school Friday when with the Foxes beat Shady Side Academy, 3-1. Ingram's career record with the Foxes is 102-33-10.
— Bill West
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Charter Communications makes offer for Time Warner Cable
- Morton’s return to Pirates means Liz leaves
- Cops: Man shoots 11-year-old with BB gun; boy is critical
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 26, 2015
- 19 officers, 7 soldiers killed in siege of Afghan police compound
- Theft thwarted by employee at Wal-Mart
- Acme man’s ephemeral sculptures appear to defy laws of physics
- Rossi: After L.A., NFL should tread carefully
- Conservative populist Duda becomes Poland’s president
- Early success in White House race a pleasant surprise for Carson
- Lower Valley observes Memorial Day with parades, services