HS notes: Vincentian soccer enjoys rise to success
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A new coach and the loss of seven starters hasn't sunk the third-ranked Vincentian boys soccer team.
With wins this week over Riverview and Serra Catholic, Vincentian (5-1-1, 1-0 Section 2-A) debuts at No. 3.
Patrick Donnelly scored to down Serra Catholic, while Alex Sharpe scored both goals against Riverview.
Coach Mike Haberman took over in April and has kept Vincentian atop Section 2-A.
“It's been a fun group,” Haberman said. “They've all bought in from Day 1.”
Christian Bolanos has two goals, Patrick McDunn three assists.
More good news: Haberman expects the team's top midfielder, senior captain David Rivetti (knee), to play his first match of 2013 tonight at West Shamokin.
• A tough week affected a pair of defending WPIAL champions in the rankings. Quaker Valley, the defending WPIAL Class AA champion, lost to No. 3 South Fayette, 1-0, seven days ago and fell to No. 5 in the rankings. Riverside, which won Class A a season ago, fell to Section 5-A foes Beaver Country Christian (5-2) and Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (1-0).
• Two Central Valley seniors made verbal commitments to play college basketball. Kiana Law, a 6-foot-1 forward who averaged 14 points and 10 rebounds a game last season, will play for the Missouri-Kansas City women's team. Matt Kline, a 6-8 center who averaged 8 points, 6.7 rebounds and 5 blocked shots a game and was an all-Section 2-AAA selection last season, will play for the Division II Seton Hill men's program.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penn Hills superintendent resigns
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- LeBeau won’t join Cardinals coaching staff
- Pine-Richland’s DiNucci commits to Pitt; Kittanning’s Bowers opts for Penn State
- Mt. Lebanon board awards contract to trap, euthanize deer
- Leader Times roundup: Snow postponements piling up, 7 games rescheduled
- NFL notebook: Patriots employee under scrutiny in underinflated footballs probe
- Three arrested in armed robbery in Lawrenceville
- Christian day camp in Somerset County sued over sexual assault
- Funeral for Joey Fabus, honorary Bethel Park police officer, draws crowd
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended 8 games for hit on Letang