HS notes: Vincentian soccer enjoys rise to success
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A new coach and the loss of seven starters hasn't sunk the third-ranked Vincentian boys soccer team.
With wins this week over Riverview and Serra Catholic, Vincentian (5-1-1, 1-0 Section 2-A) debuts at No. 3.
Patrick Donnelly scored to down Serra Catholic, while Alex Sharpe scored both goals against Riverview.
Coach Mike Haberman took over in April and has kept Vincentian atop Section 2-A.
“It's been a fun group,” Haberman said. “They've all bought in from Day 1.”
Christian Bolanos has two goals, Patrick McDunn three assists.
More good news: Haberman expects the team's top midfielder, senior captain David Rivetti (knee), to play his first match of 2013 tonight at West Shamokin.
• A tough week affected a pair of defending WPIAL champions in the rankings. Quaker Valley, the defending WPIAL Class AA champion, lost to No. 3 South Fayette, 1-0, seven days ago and fell to No. 5 in the rankings. Riverside, which won Class A a season ago, fell to Section 5-A foes Beaver Country Christian (5-2) and Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (1-0).
• Two Central Valley seniors made verbal commitments to play college basketball. Kiana Law, a 6-foot-1 forward who averaged 14 points and 10 rebounds a game last season, will play for the Missouri-Kansas City women's team. Matt Kline, a 6-8 center who averaged 8 points, 6.7 rebounds and 5 blocked shots a game and was an all-Section 2-AAA selection last season, will play for the Division II Seton Hill men's program.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Armstrong in test program using slag on icy roads
- Pennsylvania woman gets prison for abusing elderly husband
- Man arrested after showing up at hospital with gunshot wounds
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Pirates acquire infielder from Indians, designate Axford, Gomez for assignment
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Police investigate 2 shootings in Washington County, one of them fatal
- Penguins look to buck shots, goals trend
- Fábregas: Cancer-stricken California woman chooses to plan her death
- Freeport man accused of having child pornography images
- Komen acceptance of drilling-linked money raises ire