HS notes: Vincentian soccer enjoys rise to success
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A new coach and the loss of seven starters hasn't sunk the third-ranked Vincentian boys soccer team.
With wins this week over Riverview and Serra Catholic, Vincentian (5-1-1, 1-0 Section 2-A) debuts at No. 3.
Patrick Donnelly scored to down Serra Catholic, while Alex Sharpe scored both goals against Riverview.
Coach Mike Haberman took over in April and has kept Vincentian atop Section 2-A.
“It's been a fun group,” Haberman said. “They've all bought in from Day 1.”
Christian Bolanos has two goals, Patrick McDunn three assists.
More good news: Haberman expects the team's top midfielder, senior captain David Rivetti (knee), to play his first match of 2013 tonight at West Shamokin.
• A tough week affected a pair of defending WPIAL champions in the rankings. Quaker Valley, the defending WPIAL Class AA champion, lost to No. 3 South Fayette, 1-0, seven days ago and fell to No. 5 in the rankings. Riverside, which won Class A a season ago, fell to Section 5-A foes Beaver Country Christian (5-2) and Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (1-0).
• Two Central Valley seniors made verbal commitments to play college basketball. Kiana Law, a 6-foot-1 forward who averaged 14 points and 10 rebounds a game last season, will play for the Missouri-Kansas City women's team. Matt Kline, a 6-8 center who averaged 8 points, 6.7 rebounds and 5 blocked shots a game and was an all-Section 2-AAA selection last season, will play for the Division II Seton Hill men's program.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police: Phone calls about unpaid taxes are scams
- Former South Allegheny school director named to Glassport council
- Rossi: At start, are Pens already finished?
- Tobacco growers forced to find profits as buyout checks end in October
- Identical twins born at West Penn Hospital a rare medical marvel
- Colleges in Western Pa. to emphasize curricula for energy, industrial fields
- Congress: Safety agency mishandled GM recall
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger still hurting after hard hit from Ravens’ Upshaw
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener
- A Griffins great: Seton Hill soccer team supports 7-year-old honorary member
- Comcast cuts showings of anti-pigeon shooting commercial featuring Barker