Daily Courier roundup: Falcons, Gators, Scotties get soccer wins
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Alex Peperak scored two goals, and the Connellsville boys soccer team defeated visiting Latrobe, 5-2, on Saturday in a Section 1-AAA match.
Jason Burkus, Zach Traynor and Ian Pieczynski also scored for the Falcons (6-6, 3-6). Jacob Rice had four assists for Connellsville. Lawrence Becker was in goal and picked up the win.
Geibel 2, Washington 0 — Bailey McIntyre and James Ewing each scored as the Gators (7-2-2, 5-0-2) remained atop the Section 4-A standings with a win Saturday over visiting Washington. Kyle Toth got the shutout for the Gators.
Southmoreland 7, Brownsville 0 — Luke Zeleznik scored three goals to lead the Scotties (7-3-1, 5-2-1) to a Section 6-AA win over visiting Brownsville on Saturday. Isaac Baker and Henry Riley each scored twice for Southmoreland. Brian Shaffer and Hudson Nicholson combined to get the shutout.
Mt. Pleasant 0, Valley 0 — Keeper Robbie Bailey posted a shutout, and the Vikings (6-4-1, 4-3-1) earned a tie with visiting Valley on Saturday in Section 1-AA.
A.J. Everhart Invitational — Uniontown's Nate Edenfield (16:31) took first overall and teammate Brady Guthrie (16:54) placed fifth as the host Red Raiders took fourth overall with 118 points at the A.J. Everhart Invitational on Saturday at Penn State Fayette.
Southmoreland's Ben Bickerton (17:19) was ninth, but the Scotties didn't have enough runners for a team score.
Connellsville placed fifth (147) and Laurel Highlands was 10th (312). The Falcons' top finisher was Joe Baughman (16th, 17:41) in 16th. The first Laurel Highlands runner to break the tape was Gregg Maruca (38th, 18:49). Christian Katic (18:42) was the top runner for Frazier, which didn't have enough runners for a team score.
Plum won the team championship with 62 points.
In the girls race, Uniontown's Julie Gerber (19:10) was second and teammate Jade Bellotti (20:04) was fourth as the Red Raiders placed third with 95 points. Laurel Highlands' Marisa Deichert (19:32) was third and Melissa McCann (20:55) was 10th as the Fillies took fourth. Southmoreland's Riley Beistel (20:46) was ninth, but the Scotties didn't have enough runners for a team score. Connellsville finished 11th. Ally Wilson (24:31) was the Falcons' top runner, finishing 44th.
Franklin Regional's Bria McMahon (18:56) was the winner. Greensburg Salem took home the team title with 63 points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers RB Archer trying to catch up after tough rookie season
- Steelers notebook: Backup QB Gradkowski remains out with shoulder issue
- Steelers LB Timmons has grown into leadership role on defense
- Rising East Liberty out of reach for Pittsburgh’s poor
- Pirates third baseman Ramirez’s last ride is about winning a ring
- Consol takes $603 million loss in second quarter
- Watering garden right during summer’s high temperatures makes difference
- Dollars and sense: High cost of child care keeps many out of work force
- Medical pot has advocate in Pennsylvania House
- ‘Real’ people, solutions at heart of GOP ad blitz in Pa.
- Former Cal U football player cleared of assault charges sues university, police, prosecutor