Alle-Kiski roundup: Three duos earn doubles titles
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A trio of Alle-Kiski Valley tandems secured WPIAL section titles in doubles tennis Wednesday afternoon.
Pairs from Springdale and Valley went home with Class AA hardware, and a Fox Chapel team earned a crown in Section 3-AAA.
Fox Chapel's Laurel Shymansky and Lacey Cohen repeated as champions with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Shady Side Academy's Liza Plakseychuk and Amanda Murphy.
Springdale's Margo Corsetti and Becca Kern defended their Section 3-AA crown with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Vincentian's Ellie Belko and Annie Roble.
Valley twins Emily and Catherine Armstong linked up to claim the Section 4-AA title, 3-6, 7-5, 6-4, over Indiana's Lucy Bujdos and Megan Clawson. Paired with different partners, both Armstrongs placed in the top three a year ago. Emily made the finals with Maria Pallone, and Catherine and Hannah Albright took third.
This year, third place in Section 4-AA and a spot in the WPIAL championships went to Burrell's Jaila Manga and Emma Hough, who beat Valley's Albright and Megan Hill, 5-7, 6-4, 7-5, in the consolation match.
Plum 2, Oakland Catholic 1 — Ashley Amato scored the first goal for Plum (9-2, 5-2) and launched a cross to Alexandra Gipson, who buried the winner midway through the second half of the Section 3-AAA game. Gretchen Shepard made 13 saves for Oakland Catholic (4-5, 4-4).
Knoch 2, Burrell 0 — Olivia Sharbaugh curled a corner kick into the goal, and Kaelyn Oskin finished a scoring opportunity set up by Sami Bartek for Knoch (8-3, 6-2) in the Section 2-AA match. Lexi Galbreath made six saves for the shutout, and Bailey Klems had 15 stops for Burrell (5-7, 3-6).
Highlands 4, Valley 1 — Taylor Beale scored twice, and Kara Bowser and Taylor Gunn also found the net for Highlands (7-4, 6-2) in the Section 2-AA win. Samantha Kovach stopped four shots from Valley (3-7-1, 1-6-1).
Kittanning 2, St. Joseph 0 — Jordan Bozzelli stopped 10 shots from St. Joseph (1-9) to earn the nonsection shutout. Emily Knepshield and Kayly Lazaroff had goals for Kittanning (6-2).
Springdale 7, Jeannette 0 — Amanda Kuba scored twice, and Brittany Smajda and Emma Whelan each had a goal and an assist for Springdale (7-3, 5-2) in Section 4-A. Allie Seiler and Stephanie Manning stopped three shots from Jeannette (1-8, 1-6) to earn the shutout.
Fox Chapel 199, Woodland Hills 257 — Matt Friday and Charlie Friend each shot a match-low 39 for the Foxes (10-0, 9-0) in the Section 4-AAA win.
Mars 3, Deer Lakes 0 — Casey Gaston had six kills and 13 assists, Haley Szoszorek registered three blocks, and Cora Rejniak and Tiffany Edwards logged 12 and 11 digs, respectively, in the Section 4-AA loss for Deer Lakes (3-4, 3-4).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sestak kicks off U.S. Senate campaign — with a couple missteps
- Court rules Steelers must pay Okobi workers comp
- 11 Ligonier Township residents rescued by boat from floodwaters
- Elizabeth Township, McKeesport impacted by ice jam on Youghiogheny River
- Penguins need trade-deadline acquisitions to bring toughness
- PennDOT alerts drivers to numerous road closures due to flooding, debris
- Shania’s first tour in 11 years includes Pittsburgh stop
- Owner of Strip District nightclub Ivy agrees to close after shooting
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Police: Suspect in 1970 cold case homicide of 17-year-old dies days before charges filed
- Artist born without arms, legs gives Hampton students peek into her world