Daily News spotlight athletes: Thomas Jefferson's Mahesh Dhaubhabel, South Allegheny's Nina Tyszkiewicz
By Brian Graham and Robert Stinner
Published: Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2013, 1:31 a.m.
School: Thomas Jefferson
Claim to fame: Dhaubhabel scored four goals in the Jaguars' Section 3-AA win over Yough on Sept. 18. Dhaubhabel scored his first goal of the year against Elizabeth Forward on Sept. 5. His five goals this season match the total he had as a sophomore.
Coach Mike Kulish switched you from midfield to forward and your numbers have improved. How comfortable are you in the new position?
Midfield is my primary position because I like controlling the game, but I also like scoring. So I can be put anywhere. I'm basically fine doing whatever the team needs.
Are you feeling like you've become more acclimated to the program this year?
I feel a lot more settled in, and I like it a lot here now.
— Brian Graham
School: South Allegheny
Claim to fame: Tyszkiewicz scored three goals in a 5-0 Section 2-A victory over Bentworth last week. The junior followed that with two more goals in Monday's 5-1 win over section rival Serra Catholic, increasing her goal total for the season to 15.
“She's one of our three big goal scorers,” coach Jesse MacPherson said. “Going into the season, we expected her to get around 25 goals, and she's already more than halfway there. She's a very fast and a very skilled player that can shoot and pass very well with both feet. I moved her from central midfield to forward this year. You need a different mentality as a forward. You need to be more aggressive. She's done a great job.”
What has it been like moving from central midfield to forward?
It's been a huge change. I had a lot of trouble with it at first because it's a completely different game. In midfield, you have to get back and defend. As a forward, you're mostly concerned with scoring. At this point, I'm much more comfortable with my play, and I'm happy coach made the change.
— Robert Stinner
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Garden Q&A: Firecracker vine OK for trellis?
- Starkey: Penguins’ arrogance astounding
- Matt Calvert’s goal in double OT evens series for Blue Jackets
- Penguins’ Gibbons scores twice but leaves with apparent injury
- Pair of Braun homers spells defeat for Pirates
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in shooting at Chartiers party
- Draftees’ longevity key for NFL success
- NFL notebook: Pryor will be cut if he’s not traded
- Biertempfel: Kendall’s book offers inside look at life in majors
- Patients denied as donor organs discarded