Fox Chapel snaps 8-game skid
TribLIVE Sports Videos
One losing streak ended, while another one continued.
Fox Chapel put the clamps on a eight-game skid with a 34-14 victory over Shaler on Saturday afternoon.
The Titans were dealt their 18th consecutive defeat.
Fox Chapel junior quarterback Billy Urso threw for 191 yards and three touchdowns, including a pair to junior wideout Greg Yaksich, to lead Fox Chapel (1-4, 1-3) to the Quad North Conference win.
Also for the Foxes, who put up 20 points in the third quarter, Nigel Garnett scored on a 7-yard run, Carrington Vaughn recovered a fumble in the end zone, and David Brown caught the third score from Urso.
Robbie Reinheimer scored on a 95-yard kickoff return for the Titans (0-5, 0-4).
Fox Chapel's lone win last season also came against Shaler, 49-14.
Springdale 4, Oakland Catholic 3 (OT) — Class A Springdale (9-3) rallied from a 3-0 halftime deficit to edge Class AAA Oakland Catholic (4-7).
Emma Whelan delivered the game-tying score with 35 seconds left in regulation, then scored the game-winner 27 seconds into overtime on a right-wing cross from Brittany Smajda.
Smajda and Casey Hughes also scored for the Dynamos, winners of five in a row.
Burrell 7, Derry 0 — Corey Mazary, Joey Cox and Tom Spagnolo all scored two goals apiece, and Cox assisted on two others.
Burrell (8-2, 7-0) won for the fifth consecutive time, while posting its fourth shutout in beating the Trojans.
Goalkeeper Justin Schwartz stopped 12 Derry (2-7, 2-7) shots for the Bucs in the Section 1-AA victory.
Valley 0, Mt. Pleasant 0 (2 OT) — Josh Noel made nine saves for Valley (5-2-1, 5-2-1) in the team's first tie of the season.
Mt. Pleasant (6-4-1, 4-3-1) goalkeeper Robbie Bailey also was stellar, making four saves, including three on breakaways.
Deer Lakes 2, Freeport 0 — Chris Skinner scored both unassisted goals in Deer Lakes' sixth shutout victory of the season and second whitewash against Freeport (4-8, 2-6) in Section 2-AA action.
Austin Barneycastle made six saves for the Lancers (9-2-2, 6-2-1).
Highlands 4, Kittanning 0 — A hat trick by J.J. Clark carried Highlands (4-7, 2-6) to a Section 2-AA shutout of Kittanning (0-12, 0-9).
Victor Nelson assisted on all three goals for the Golden Rams.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Foundations’ deal to buy August Wilson Center could be in jeopardy
- Attorney General Kane injured in auto accident
- 2 adults charged in ATV crash that killed 4-year-old Somerset girl
- Pa. trooper ambush suspect Frein in court after long manhunt
- Veteran LB Harrison: Steelers must play to way defense is set up
- Fingerprint expert says defendant’s prints were on cyanide bottle
- Trial for accused Franklin Regional stabber delayed until at least March
- 5 Cal U football players arrested for assault; Saturday’s game canceled
- Witness: Space tourism rocket explodes in desert
- Steelers notebook: Fully healthy, rookie WR Bryant progressing fast
- Authorities say North Side woman set home on fire for insurance money