Daily Courier roundup: Falcons spike Frazier, improve to 8-2
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Emily Means had 28 assists to lead the Connellsville girls volleyball team to a 25-11, 25-21, 25-12 win over visiting Frazier in a nonsection match on Tuesday. Maria Merendino connected for 10 kills and Emma Bell added 11 digs for the Falcons (8-2).
Thomas Jefferson 3, Southmoreland 0 — Emily Myers had 21 digs and eight kills, but the Scotties (7-5, 4-4) fell to the visiting Jaguars, 25-12, 25-19, 25-9, in Section 7-AA. Kristyn Howell also had 21 digs.
Carmichaels 3, Geibel 1 — Rachel Elias recorded 12 kills and 18 digs and Ashley Tomasko notched 14 assists and three aces, but the Gators (4-4, 4-4) fell to visiting Carmichaels, 26-24, 20-25, 25-12, 25-12, in Section 5-A. Haley Solan had four kills and nine aces and Riley Bocan added 32 digs.
Mt. Pleasant 5, Southmoreland 0 — The Vikings (12-3) swept the visiting Scotties (9-5) in a Section 1-AA match. Paige Hertzog and Carmen Kubasky won at No. 1 doubles and Kayla Queer and Madie Kromer were winners at No. 2 doubles. Taylor Bradley, Brooke Lazur and Kailee Gamrat were winners at No. 1 through No. 3 singles, respectively.
Both teams have qualified for the WPIAL playoffs, which will begin next week.
Frazier 242, Geibel 262 — Josh Miller shot a 45 as the Commodores (9-6, 7-4) beat visiting Geibel in Section 2-AA. Blair Elliott shot a 47 and Annika Erdely was next with a 48.
Ibraheem Shaikh paced the Gators (4-10, 3-9) with a 46. Matthew Emerson scored a 50 and Anthony Lovat carded a 52.
Mt. Pleasant 1, East Allegheny0 — Zackery Bednar scored a first-half goal as the Vikings (6-4, 5-3) picked up a Section 1-AA road win. Robbie Bailey recorded the shutout.
Geibel 1, Chartiers-Houston 0 — Tommy Kovalchuk scored a goal in the second half to lift the Gators (8-2-2, 6-0-2) to a Section 4-A win over host Chartiers-Houston. Kyle Toth picked up the shutout for Geibel.
Southmoreland 1, McGuffey 0 — Henry Riley scored the game's lone goal and Brian Shaffer posted the shutout as the Scotties (8-3-1, 6-2-1) beat host McGuffey in Section 6-AA.
Frazier vs. Washington, Burgettstown — Christian Katic (18:57) placed second overall and Nyoah Marteny (20:53) finished eighth, but the Commodores (1-7, 0-6) fell to Washington, 22-37, and Burgettstown, 22-39, in a Section 3-AA meet. Washington's Devan Kelley (17:51) finished first overall.
In the girls race, Juliana Mosser (28:22) placed fifth and Christina Babyak (29:37) finished 10th, but the Commodores (0-8, 0-6) dropped 15-50 decisions to Burgettstown and Washington. Burgettstown's Cheyenne Black (25:12) finished first.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man barricaded in house near West Hempfield Elementary School
- Pirates cut 12, including outfielder Tabata and pitcher Lincoln
- First trailer for Pittsburgh-shot ‘Southpaw’ hits the Internet
- Penguins’ protracted slump continues with 5-2 loss at Carolina
- Yough senior high students evacuated for third time this week
- Aldi to open store where Bottom Dollar closed in Garfield
- Freshman arrested in Burrell High School bomb threat
- Bodies of Kochu, Gray found in Ohio River in West Virginia
- Port Authority secures free North Shore light-rail service
- Narduzzi set to begin more critical evaluations during Pitt football spring drills
- Bomb threat clears Apollo-Ridge High School