Alle-Kiski roundup: Fox Chapel duo in final
By Staff Reports
Published: Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2013, 11:30 p.m.
A year wiser and better accustomed to playing together on the same doubles team, sophomores Laurel Shymansky and Lacey Cohen of Fox Chapel sit one win away from a WPIAL championship.
The duo lost in the quarterfinals last season, but after three relatively painless wins Wednesday in the Class AAA tournament at Norwin, they'll meet North Allegheny's Maddy Adams and Anna Li in the final 2 p.m. Thursday at North Allegheny.
Shymansky and Cohen cruised against Charlotte Vertes and Dana Kelly of Penn-Trafford, 10-1, and Yvon Martinez and Angela Consiglio of Pine-Richland, 10-2, before dispatching Nicole Cyterski and Marley Shovlin of Oakland Catholic, 6-2, 6-2, in the semifinals.
In the Class AA doubles tournament, Valley's team of identical twins, Emily and Catherine Armstrong, as well as Springdale's Margo Corsetti and Becca Kern, lost in the first round at Keystone Oaks.
Freeport 206, West Shamokin 234 — Playoff-bound Freeport (15-3, 8-2) got an even-par 36 round from senior Cole Hepler in a Section 1-AA victory at Deertrak Golf Course.
Freeport secured second in the section and will open the playoffs next week.
Fox Chapel 9, Woodland Hills 0 — Dixon Veltri had three goals, and Lauren Kelly and Deena Debaldo scored two apiece to lead Fox Chapel (12-1, 9-0) to a Section 3-AAA victory.
Kelly added two assists, and Elayna Burdelski earned the shutout in goal behind a constricting defense. She made two saves.
Kiski Area 2, Hempfield Area 1 — Goals from Nicole Caldwell and Alyssa Hodnik propelled the Cavaliers (4-7-1, 3-5) to a Section 1-AAA victory over Hempfield (3-9, 2-8).
Hodnik and Brittany Palls had assists for Kiski Area, which snapped a three-game losing streak.
Burrell 5, Indiana 1 — Burrell (7-7, 5-6-1) fired 25 shots at Indiana (5-10, 2-9) in a Section 2-AA victory that saw Lexi Husar score a hat trick for the Bucs.
Jennifer Ryan and Tori Slomka also scored, and Bailey Klems made four saves for Burrell.
Knoch 6, Valley 0 — Knoch (11-3-1, 9-2-1) picked up its eighth shutout of the season and pushed its unbeaten streak to five games as the Knights blanked the Vikings (3-10-1, 1-9-1) in Section 2-AA play.
Kaelyn Oskin scored three goals, and Mikayla Crouch chipped in two for Knoch.
St. Joseph 3, West Shamokin 1 — Chris Gronewalski, Nick Eianchi and Jack Farrell found the net for the Spartans (4-8-2, 2-4-1) in a Section 2-A win over West Shamokin (2-8, 1-7).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Armstrong County crash
- Kovacevic: Bylsma’s moves — yes, moves — pay off
- Police see no sign Franklin Regional stabbing suspect was bullied
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
- Veteran North Huntingdon police officer fired
- Penguins rally to escape with a victory in Game 1 against Columbus
- Authorities investigating skeletal remains found in Ohio River in Avalon
- Wages have soared in Pittsburgh but economy appears to have stalled
- South Fayette parents express dissatisfaction with handling of bullying
- Former Pitt captain Cavanaugh blazes trail as entrepreneur
- Man to serve 75 to 100 years in prison for Shadyside rape