Daily Courier roundup: Southmoreland falls short to GCC
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Greensburg Central Catholic scored nine points in the third quarter to erase a 14-12 halftime deficit on its way to a 21-20 victory over Southmoreland in a Class AA Interstate Conference game Friday at California (Pa.) University.
Tommy Pellis completed 13 of 18 passes for 265 yards and a touchdown for the Centurions (3-3, 3-2). Tyler Balla hauled in six passes for 188 yards, including touchdown receptions of 51 and 60 yards. Balla also scored on a 6-yard run. The Centurions also scored on a safety.
Aaron Bailey had 10 carries for 111 yards, including a 71-yard touchdown run for the Scotties (1-5, 1-4). Justin Livengood caught a 24-yard touchdown pass from Brennan Bunner and Chas King returned a blocked punt 33 yards for a score. Jake Pisula rushed for 140 yards on 28 carries.
Thomas Jefferson 58, Laurel Highlands 21 — Austin Kemp carried 12 times for 159 yards and four touchdowns as the Jaguars (6-0, 5-0) defeated the host Mustangs (0-6, 0-5) in a Class AAA Big 9 Conference game. Jason Leone scored on a 31-yard run and a 1-yard run for Laurel Highlands. Jimmy Pierce scored on a 3-yard run.
Carmichaels 48, Ge ibel 0 — Joel Spishock carried 14 times for 105 yards and scored on a 9-yard touchdown run as the Mikes (5-1, 4-1) defeated the visiting Gators (0-6, 0-5) in Tri-County South Conference play. Brennan McMinn, Nate Baker and Shawn Dulaney each had a touchdown run. Brandon Lawless had a pair of touchdown passes.
Mars 42, Uniontown 0 — Nolan Skirtich caught touchdown passes of 28 and 57 yards from Owen Nearhoof as the Planets (5-1) beat the host Red Raiders (1-5) in a Class AAA nonconference game. Skirtich recovered a fumble for a touchdown and also rushed 13 times for 152 yards.
Nearhoof scored on a 2-yard run and Ori Rinaman added a 73-yard scoring run.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Syrian border town emerges as pivot point in Islamic State fight
- Experience ‘Faces and Voices’
- Penn State succumbs to No. 13 Ohio State in double overtime
- Pirates must weigh risk, reward in attempt to sign Martin
- Penguins rebound with shutout of Predators
- CDC’s misinformation spreads faster than Ebola virus
- Starkey: Chryst missed his only shot
- Penguins’ Crosby OK with Neal comments about trade
- Steelers notebook: Ex-Steeler Sanders living up to his word
- Pittsburgh Mills mall stability questioned
- Mini goes mainstream