HS notes: Central Valley golfer takes aim at WPIAL title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Central Valley golfer Macky Fouse was a WPIAL runner-up last season when she shot 8-over-par 80 to finish two strokes behind Jefferson-Morgan's Gillian Alexander at 3 Lakes Golf Course.
She will have a shot at revenge Monday when she competes at the WPIAL individual championships at Hillcrest Country Club in Lower Burrell.
Fouse, a senior Seton Hall recruit, shot a 3-under 69 in Central Valley's section qualifier tournament at Ponderosa and has the top qualifying score in the Class AA field.
Alexander again could be her top competition; the junior shot 84 to finish third at the Section 1-AA qualifier at Latrobe Elks.
Fouse's Central Valley teammates, Maddy McDaniel (74), Marissa Sudar (79), Amanda Scala (79) and Alex Bozich (85), also will compete at the championships.
In Class AAA, the lowest-scoring qualifiers were Canon-McMillan's Lauren Waller, Shady Side Academy's Casey Morrow, Gateway's Johnna Beehner and Penn-Trafford's Casey Doran, who all shot in the 70s at their section tournaments.
• For the girls, the top seven finishers in Class AAA and top eight in Class AA advance to the PIAA West Regional on Oct. 16, at Tom's Run Golf Course in Blairsville. The top six in AAA and 10 in AA at the regional qualify for the PIAA championship at Heritage Hills Golf Course in York from Oct. 21-22.
• The Penn-Trafford girls golf team celebrated a fourth straight undefeated section championship Thursday.
• The WPIAL girls golf team championship will be held Oct. 10 at Cedarbrook.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Trailer fire puts Rayburn family out of home
- Ford City delays decision on accountant’s job
- Pirates hope 1st baseman Alvarez starts to regain power stroke
- Starkey: Cervelli’s inspiration
- Rain washes out concert, not comeback for Kittanning bar band
- More witness intimidation charges are filed against Plum teacher
- Supreme Court justices ream EPA for ignoring costs to meet air standards
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, June 30, 2015
- 80 percent of drivers found exceeding speed limit in Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park
- Downie, Ehrhoff lead list of likely Penguins leaving in free agency
- Murrysville native Bullock vying for health magazine’s ‘Next Fitness Star’