Leonard leads Lady Jaguars to second-place showing at Big South championship meet
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Thomas Jefferson's girls cross country team placed second at the Big South championship meet held last week at Mingo Creek Park.
Freshman Emily Leonard set the pace for the Lady Jaguars with a 21:53.2 time and sixth-place individual finish.
Marie Miller, a senior, was next in line at 22:58.9, good for 10th place.
Thomas Jefferson missed winning the meet by one point as the Ringgold girls took first place with a 59-point team total.
Leonard and Miller were flanked in the race by freshman Makenzie Matta (23:18.2), freshman Alli Fitzgerald (23:29) and junior Emma Volk (23:38.3), who secured 13th, 15th and 16th place.
Seniors Presley Gedman and Hannah Holden ended up in 17th and 29th place.
The final girls team standings were: Ringgold (59), Thomas Jefferson (60), South Park (75), Trinity (83), Chartiers Valley (124), McGuffey (145), West Mifflin (163) and Elizabeth Forward (199).
The Thomas Jefferson boys' team finished fourth at the Big South meet.
Seniors Matt Bourgeois and Josh Francis ended up in 14th and 16th place, respectively. Bourgeois posted a time of 18:27.7, slightly ahead of Francis (18:32.2).
TJ senior Alex Neumeyer, junior Tim Grassi and junior Joe Rimksy followed in 25th, 26th and 28th place with times of 19:03.4, 19:16.3 and 19:16.3, respectively.
Junior Anthony Gentilcore (19:31.7), junior Pat Walsh (19:41.9) and sophomore Jared Kelly (20:09.3) also ran for TJ. Gentilcore placed 29th and Walsh 31st.
The final boys' team standings were: Chartiers Valley (25), West Mifflin (80), Ringgold (86), Thomas Jefferson (109), Trinity (120), McGuffey (154), Elizabeth Forward (171) and South Park (188).
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at 412-388-5820 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Previously convicted of embezzlement, Mt. Pleasant postal worker accused of mail theft
- Greensburg pair jailed in convenience store robbery
- Finding perfect pairing for Ehrhoff key for Penguins
- 3-alarm fire burns Hill District row homes
- Record-breaking temps could make February the coldest one since 1979
- Vincentian girls dominate rival North Catholic for 4th straight WPIAL Class A title
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Butler County teen dies in ATV accident
- Burrell’s Beattie goes for 3rd PIAA Class AA Southwest Regional title vs. familiar opponent
- 3 charged with selling heroin that killed Lower Burrell woman
- At Pitt, a chance to make early impression under Narduzzi