VND athletes of the week: Tyler Graham and Alexis Schrecengost
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2013, 1:06 a.m.
School: Kiski Area
Report card: A two-year team captain for Kiski Area (8-4, 6-2), he has three assists and anchors a back line that has produced three shutouts.
Would you rather score a game-deciding goal or be part of a shutout?
Probably rather get a shutout. It means more in my position than scoring a goal. Our coaches actually set us a goal to have so many shutouts: five.
How would you describe your leadership style?
I'm probably the most vocal captain. But I do try to set an example both on and off the field with my actions as well.
What is your favorite soccer movie?
Green Street Hooligans
— Alex Novickoff
Report Card: A captain for the undefeated Yellowjackets, she has a .470 hitting percentage, averages more than 10 kills per match and leads the team in aces.
Between tournaments, matches and practice, how do you balance out the time between volleyball and school work?
It's very to tough, and you need your sleep. Volleyball season is where you sit down and think about school, volleyball practice, and then I go to work, so I sit down and think I have to do this, this and this here.
Do you have any pregame rituals?
I definitely listen to my three favorite songs and they have to go in order. The first is “Radioactive” by Imagine Dragons. Then comes “Roar” by Katy Perry. ... Then comes “World's Greatest” by R. Kelly. That's the last one because it symbolizes that you can be the world's greatest on the court if you put your mind to it.
How do you choose where to place a serve?
You never want to serve it to the libero. You basically want to serve it to the outside hitters. If you're on a serve receive, you want to serve it to the setter so she can't get her feet balanced.
— D.J. Vasil
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kovacevic: Still waiting on Crosby, Malkin
- Police respond to Hill District standoff
- Rossi: Lack of together time showing for Penguins’ defense
- LaBar: Did WWE referee know finish to Undertaker match?
- Fleury a bright spot among struggling Penguins in playoffs
- Truck crash causes fracking water, diesel spill into Chartiers Creek
- Egg decorating turns to fight, charges in Brookline, police say
- 3 ejected after Pirates, Brewers brawl
- Starkey: Penguins’ arrogance astounding
- None injured when car strikes school bus in Derry Township
- Garden Q&A: Firecracker vine OK for trellis?