Valley News Dispatch spotlight athletes: Knoch's Celina Sanks, Burrell's Tom Spagnolo
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Report card: A team captain, Spagnolo has helped propel Burrell (10-4, 8-2) to first place in Section 1-AA. He has 17 goals, including the lone goal in the Bucs' 1-0 victory over Valley.
What was it like to score the deciding goal?
It feels amazing, just to be the man, to score the deciding goal.
What pressure do you feel being the youngest in a family of successful athletes?
They kind of help me a lot. It's an advantage since they know so much and have taught me so much. You know what to do and what to expect.
What's your playoff outlook?
Our main concern is first winning the section. For playoffs, our main goal is to at least win two games and make the semifinals.
— Alex Novickoff
Report card: One of the top-hitting players in the WPIAL, Sanks, an Eastern Kentucky recruit, helped Knoch upset perennial power Freeport last week, 3-2. She had a head-turning 33 kills in the win.
How did it feel to upset Freeport?
Probably one of the best feelings in the world. That was the first time I beat Freeport. It was an amazing feeling because we worked so hard for it, and it went five games. It took a team effort.
What did that win do to Knoch's confidence heading into the postseason?
It definitely boosted morale, and our confidence, but not to the point where we are overconfident. We have Mars again next Thursday. We can't take any games off. If we want to take a piece of section we will have to finish strong.
Why did you choose Eastern Kentucky?
The main reason was because it felt like home. The girls and coaches are amazing. It felt like family.
— D.J. Vasil
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Unusual fruiting vines offer tasty options for Western Pennsylvania gardens
- PIAA boys basketball roundup: New Castle edges Strong Vincent
- Mother, baby found dead in Millvale apartment
- Farrell routs Jeannette, 76-55 in PIAA Class A 1st-round game
- Norwin girls outlast Pine-Richland in thriller
- Chief: Aliquippa man’s death appears to be a homicide
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 3, Yankees 1
- Hyde Park woman, 38, faces sex charge with teen
- Beaver Falls bounces back, beats Meadville in PIAA Class AAA 1st-round game
- Pirates notebook: Pitching prospect Taillon makes steady progress
- High school girls basketball roundup: Bethel Park takes down Altoona in 1st round