Valley News Dispatch spotlight athletes: Knoch's Celina Sanks, Burrell's Tom Spagnolo
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Report card: A team captain, Spagnolo has helped propel Burrell (10-4, 8-2) to first place in Section 1-AA. He has 17 goals, including the lone goal in the Bucs' 1-0 victory over Valley.
What was it like to score the deciding goal?
It feels amazing, just to be the man, to score the deciding goal.
What pressure do you feel being the youngest in a family of successful athletes?
They kind of help me a lot. It's an advantage since they know so much and have taught me so much. You know what to do and what to expect.
What's your playoff outlook?
Our main concern is first winning the section. For playoffs, our main goal is to at least win two games and make the semifinals.
— Alex Novickoff
Report card: One of the top-hitting players in the WPIAL, Sanks, an Eastern Kentucky recruit, helped Knoch upset perennial power Freeport last week, 3-2. She had a head-turning 33 kills in the win.
How did it feel to upset Freeport?
Probably one of the best feelings in the world. That was the first time I beat Freeport. It was an amazing feeling because we worked so hard for it, and it went five games. It took a team effort.
What did that win do to Knoch's confidence heading into the postseason?
It definitely boosted morale, and our confidence, but not to the point where we are overconfident. We have Mars again next Thursday. We can't take any games off. If we want to take a piece of section we will have to finish strong.
Why did you choose Eastern Kentucky?
The main reason was because it felt like home. The girls and coaches are amazing. It felt like family.
— D.J. Vasil
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McCullers’, McLendon’s prowess in clogging trenches crucial to Steelers defense
- Rossi: Looking at the next great Steeler
- Steelers swap draft pick for Eagles cornerback
- Shell shovels millions into proposed Beaver County plant site
- Penguins not alone in top-heavy approach to salary cap
- After early criticism, Haley has Steelers offense poised to be even better
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Inside the Steelers: QB Jones continues to get majority of snaps
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined