Leader Times roundup: Barto fires 35, but Leechburg comes up short
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Fresh off a WPIAL Class AA championship-winning performance, Leechburg senior Matt Barto showed no let up during a Section 1-AA home match Tuesday.
Barto, a two-time WPIAL winner, shot a one-under-par 35 at Lenape Heights for the Blue Devils, who fell one stroke short of forcing a playoff with Freeport, a 228-229 winner. No other golfer in the match finished at 40 or below.
Cole Helper shot a team-best 41 for the Yellowjackets (14-3, 7-2).
Highlands 1, Freeport 1 — Bob Reesman made 16 saves in goal for Highlands (4-7-1, 2-6-1) in the Section 2-AA tie with Freeport (4-8-1, 2-6-1).
Kennedy sets course record — Riverview sophomore Molly Kennedy set a course record (20:19) during a Section 4-AA tri-meet with host Kittanning and Southmoreland. The Riverview's girls team improved to 6-0, as it defeated Kittanning, 18-37, and Southmoreland, 19-50. The boys team also improved to 6-0, as the Raiders, led by second-place finisher Will Gonsowski, edged Southmoreland, 27-28, and beat Kittanning, 25-30.
Allie Hepner led the girls team with a fourth-place finish (23:19), and Jason Nolf took fourth (18:58) in the boys race.
Ford City 3, Apollo-Ridge 0 — Justine Lasher hit 12 kills, and Ally Cujas added seven for Ford City (4-5, 3-3) in the Section 3-AA match.
Freeport 3, Burrell 0 — Morgan Ruppersberger finished with seven blocks and five kills, and Maddie Christy contributed two aces, three kills and two blocks for Freeport (9-0, 7-0) in the Section 4-AA win.
West Shamokin 3, Trinity Christian 0 — Carmen Riggle finished with six kills and five blocks, Amanda Wensel hit nine kills, and Kristen Templeton registered 28 digs for West Shamokin (7-1, 7-1) in the Section 1-A win.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- For Steelers, a fight to finish for playoff berth
- Islanders outwork Penguins to sweep back-to-back meetings
- Penguins minor league notebook: Pouliot impresses early in season
- Starkey: No explaining Steelers, AFC North
- Egypt’s beleaguered tourism industry bounces back
- Leak of grand jury information could cost Attorney General Kane
- Springdale Library to pay rent to borough
- Pitt football notebook: Panthers’ depth at RB, offensive line shows against Syracuse
- Woman on dating site looks too good to be true: How to vet that pic
- The bullet inside your body ‘becomes a part of you’
- Allegheny County buck may prove to be state’s largest ever taken