KLT high school roundup: Freeport volleyball's unbeaten streak in section ends
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Freeport's unbeaten run to begin the girls volleyball season came to a halt after a 3-2 loss on their home court Thursday against Knoch.
The Knights (9-2, 7-1), who now share first place in Section 4-AA with Freeport (9-1, 7-1), fell behind in the match, but rallied with wins of 26-24 and 15-12 in Game 4 and 5. They claimed Game 1, 25-21, and the Yellowjackets took the next two, 27-25 and 25-20.
Celina Sanks hit 33 kills for Knoch, and Mary Zellhart and Schaely Renfrew contributed 11 and 13.
Freeport and Mars shared the Section 4-AA title last year, while Knoch came in third. In 2011, Knoch and Mars shared the Section 2-AA title while Freeport claimed Section 6-AA.
West Shamokin 3, St. Joseph 0 — Stephanie Schrecengost had eight kills, and Alecia Calhoun had seven to lead the Wolves to a Section 1-A win at St. Joseph. Setter Sierra Dailey had 20 assists and added five kills for West Shamokin (8-1, 8-1).
Burrell 3, Freeport 2 — Ashley Szymkowiak, Dana McAlpine and Anika Ignozzi scored to keep Burrell (8-7-0, 6-6-0) alive in the playoff chase in Section 2-AA.
Megan Manke and Erica Jack scored for Freeport (8-6-1, 7-4-1), which suffered the setback one night after Manke's overtime winner gave the team a win over fourth-place Highlands, 3-2. The Yellowjackets will reach the playoffs with wins over Deer Lakes and Indiana next week.
Karns City 5, Kittanning 0 — The Gremlins brought an end to a four-game winning streak for Kittanning (7-3-0) with a nonsection road win at Lenape Tech.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Steelers rising fast in mediocre AFC
- Steelers offense learning to slam door
- Steelers clinch trip to postseason with big victory over Chiefs
- Steelers-Bengals game to start at 8:30 p.m.
- Pittsburgh police doubling up on duty after potential threats
- Pittsburgh mayor Peduto goes ‘Undercover’ for CBS reality show
- Downie, Farnham bringing a much-needed edge to the Penguins
- Charity helps dozens of McKeesport area children in need get new shoes
- Heyward, swarming defense get best of Chiefs in Steelers’ win
- Allegheny County district attorney prosecutors move on to state office
- Munhall garbage collection rates to increase